Grate in a Papabear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jimboh51

Feb 19, 2018
Boulder CO
A chimney sweep recommended a grate to prevent creosote build-up in my Papabear and thereby prevent chimney fires. However, I see in online discussions that this is not recommended. I have also found that using the grate makes cleaning and restarting fires more difficult. Safety is my first concern. Grate or no grate?

No.
They are for fireplaces where the wood needs lots of air to burn fast to heat the much larger flue. (without lots of heat going up the large fireplace flue, smoke rolls into building above fire)
It will also cause it to burn faster in a stove, keeping the chimney cleaner, wasting lots of wood.
Burning wood in a coal stove on a grate does the same thing.
You want the wood on about an inch of ash to prevent too much oxygen from getting to the bottom.
There are many reasons why you don't want to elevate the fuel. Each piece is at different stages of combustion and the flames you see are the out gassing of flammable gasses. Elevating it doesn't allow the coals to heat the fresh fuel as evenly and when it does ignite, it is all at once. So you end up with temperature spikes more than necessary.

Burning on the bottom firebrick, as it burns down you will find it burns to fine ash at the front where the air enters. The back will have more coals and charcoal. This is fuel that didn't get stray oxygen molecules to touch it and has a very low ignition point. Remove some ash from the front daily, and rake the coals ahead with some ash leaving about an inch of ash. Build your new fire on the coals and it should take right off. This way you never need to let it die to remove ash.
It will burn clean enough with proper air, flue damper settings and the proper chimney. If you are experiencing excessive creosote something is wrong. The firebrick in the firebox is there to reflect heat back into the fire keeping the firebox hotter which burns more particulate. (smoke particles stick to condensing water vapor forming creosote)
How often does it need to be cleaned?
6 inch chimney to match the stove outlet?
Adding a baffle reduces smoke particles drastically which is what creates creosote at incorrect flue temperatures. Keep it minimum 250*f to the top of flue when smoke is present to keep it clean.