Great deal on a cheap saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice deal, but unfortunately I don't think these are the same saw they used to be.

I have one that's 12 years old now and still works like brand new. It's been used and abused like crazy, bounced around in the back of my truck, sat with old gas in it, and just about anything else you're not supposed to do with a chainsaw. It simply refuses to die.

1bfec1b64fd581eea7ffb371d1bded64.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: dougand3
do you want a "good" saw or a "cheap" saw?

I mentally cringe when people bring me those with problems. I see a fair amount of the "pro" versions because we sell them.

keep your eyes open at homedepot.com and you might see a refurb echo or a retired Makita/dolmar 4300. both are MUCH better saws and potentially are pretty inexpensive. the refurb echos are also sold at a store level and usually the first price drop is something between 30-33%.

the echo is pretty much the same thing as the shindaiwa, just orange instead of red.

Reactions: NoGoodAtScreenNames
Got it Saturday.

Right out of the box it would not start...it gave me a few coughs, but nothing major. Pulled the plug...totally fouled and wet. Disappointing they did not put a new plug in when it was 'refurbished'. It was black as heck.
Polished it up...a little brake cleaner and sandpaper.
Fired right up but would not idle.
Darn, special tool required to adjust the high and low mixture. Found out that a 4mm and a little tap from a hammer works well. :) Got it adjusted and runs pretty good. I'll put a new plug in it as time allows.

I did rip through a locust and was pretty pleased. Then a branch swung down and buried a 4" thorn 1" into my knuckle. Ouch.

All in all, the power is moderate. The quality seems ok. It will be just for limbing not dropping anything.

do you want a "good" saw or a "cheap" saw?

I mentally cringe when people bring me those with problems. I see a fair amount of the "pro" versions because we sell them.

keep your eyes open at homedepot.com and you might see a refurb echo or a retired Makita/dolmar 4300. both are MUCH better saws and potentially are pretty inexpensive. the refurb echos are also sold at a store level and usually the first price drop is something between 30-33%.

the echo is pretty much the same thing as the shindaiwa, just orange instead of red.

In this case, its pretty obvious, I wanted cheap.

Reactions: BigFir
Nice deal, but unfortunately I don't think these are the same saw they used to be.

I have one that's 12 years old now and still works like brand new. It's been used and abused like crazy, bounced around in the back of my truck, sat with old gas in it, and just about anything else you're not supposed to do with a chainsaw. It simply refuses to die.

View attachment 183058

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mine look identical to that. Not sure if the insides are the same.

We had a storm that split a few of my maples in half in the backyard. I got this saw out and make pretty quick work of them. Then I realized zero oil was coming out and lubricating he bar/chain. Drained the tank, flushed with gas, blew it all out with carb and choke cleaner. Seems to be working.

I'm going to run it through the paces more aggressively this weekend. If I have any issues, I'm returning it.

Ok..so update. Through A LOT of tuning I got it running well...but then realized it would not put 1 drop of oil on the bar. The pumping system was broken, not clogged. I exchanged it and just got my replacement yesterday.

Again, the replacement had the SAME issues. The tuning was a mess...took me an hr and it was shipped with a fouled plug. I don't know how that is even possible.

I'm pretty sure its a real POS..but the bar is getting oil and it does rip pretty good for limbing now that I have it running well.

Much less arm pump running a lighter saw than my echo. I do like that.

I'll definitely give you credit for being persistent and you most certainly must be fan of the Poulan saws.

I love tinkering/ repairing as a hobby too.
(see frankentractor pictured at left)

Found 6 in a neat row at the pawn shop the other day.
Two were old school w/ metal housings and steel drive sprockets.
(Heard to be watchful of modern Poulan and Black n' Decker as they
are getting lighter and not in a good way.)
Five were all 60 bucks, then one was 199. (forget the brand. Husky/Stihl?)
I'm snatching up one of the old one's. Likely the Craftsman 60's-70's era 24".
Bet it's close to bulletproof with a bit of cleaning and a tweak.

I drive the wife nuts cleaning parts in the kitchen sink but it never seems to bother
her when I'm fixing something of hers. lol

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Just a fyi for anyone in need on a budget.. people sell knock off saws on ebay.. I just got a 58cc 18" for $100. I had a problem starting it, my old man got to it before I could, possibly flooded it, and the seller paid for us to take it somewhere. The plug did look fouled for being a new saw.

It gets the job done for cutting down firewood and small trees.

I have the same saw. Blew a bar oil pump already, changed that and put a longer bar with a much better chain on it. Like night and day, but yes a very cheap saw. When something major goes wrong I'll prob just buy another one and keep this one for parts

Status
Not open for further replies.