Super deal on chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for the "oil leaking" problem i have an old craftsman from '98 made by poulan i find that if u prop up the chain on a 2x4 or something while storing i get little to no leaking. just a simple fix if its sitting with the chain lower then the bar oil hole its gonna come out :) i also would love a stihl but the old craftsmans have done me well for long time so dont think they r a bad saw def not the best though. i have two a 24" and a 20" when they die out i will consider an upgrade but as of now no need. biggest thing is getting the ratio of gas to 2cycle correct and using fresh gas thats where most problem happen

When I bought this Poulan in 1991, ............................................., if you mentioned Husqvarna everybody would ask you why you wanted a great sewing machine to cut wood.

Or a great rifle >>

Save your money and buy the right tool (saw) that will last a life time -Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar.
Just like cheap wrenches flex and round the bolt head, sockets crack, ratchets skip. Good quality tools don't. Discount sites, big box stores sell one time use products anymore. Saws and chain should last more than a few cords. Save your money.

I loaned my Craftsman out a number of years ago & it came back "bad". I think they ran it with straight gas.. now it runs for about 5 minutes (or a little less) and dies. won't start again until it cools... then same thing. Five minutes & it dies.

Tedinski:

The problem with your Craftsman is more than likely a clogged fuel tank breather tube. Fire it up and when it starts to bog down, crack open the gas cap. If it runs with the cap cracked open then it is the breather tube.

Check out Sears parts direct and you can download a manual for free and get any parts you might need. It's a simple and cheap fix. I spent $1.00 on a foot of tube from the local parts store and did it myself. It was also a great opportunity to clean that sucker! My saw was doing the exact same thing you described.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.