Great Western Stove Co. "Handy" small cook stove questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

desert rat

Jun 9, 2019
California
Hi all, I picked this stove up cheap, and have a few questions. It seems complete except the grate is missing. I think I can fabricate something.
Questions, can it be used with wood, or only coal ? Firebox seems small. It has a damper, how would you cook with this stove ? Any idea as to age ? There is a spare part, matching casting numbers but can't figure out where it goes.( last pic) I have a pot belly I use, but this is all new to me. Thanks ! John

wood stove 2.jpg wood stove 3.jpg wood stove.jpg 20190527_135823.jpg 20190526_081656.jpg 20190526_081803.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From reading many posts on here from folks that know way more than me, that looks like a coal fired laundry stove.

With the oven and 4 cook plates, this looks a bit more like a camp or summer stove. Laundry stoves were typically 2 burner with the fire directly under the top. Hard to say its age. Great Western made a lot of stoves from around the beginning of the Civil War to the 1930s.

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely a cook stove with an oven door, I'm just not sure how you would regulate the temp accurately. I may attempt to cook a turkey in it outside someday just for kicks.

John

I'm guessing that accurate temp regulation is not built into this stove. There doesn't appear to be a bypass and the fire is in direct contact with one side of the oven. It looks like portability was a more important feature. Temp regulation would be governed by the air supplied to the fire and duration of the burn.