Green Logging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting.

They've done similar salvage operations in Lake Superior and the Susquehana River in Pennsylvania, among other locations. It has to be fairly high-grade timber to begin with, which that stuff in BC probably is. One problem they found in the PA operation was that although the wood was sound, it did smell pretty bad when they ran it through a mill and cut it into lumber.

I'm surprised the Canadian government is letting them kick up all that sediment in a reservior. Doubt you could do anything like that in the Quabbin. I also seriously doubt that it costs less per cubic meter to salvage than cutting on land, contrary to what the article claims. But it's pretty interesting all the same.

Some of the best drum sets in the world are made from that Lake Superior timber - that has been preserved on the bottom for and now harvested.

"In the late ‘90s, John learned of 500-year-old hardwood that had sunk in Lake Superior 100 years ago. The logs were harvested by underwater treasure hunters and used to create DW’s Timeless Timber line, featuring 25th Anniversary Lake Superior Maple sets in 1997 and DW’s 30th anniversary Lake Superior Birch sets in 2002 (pictured at left)"

http://www.dwdrums.com/about/story2.htm

While SCUBA diving in the mouth of the St. Clair River I saw the piles of loges the long shore current from Lake Huron brought to the snags. Unbelievably jumbled logs in 4 knots of current. At the time we just went up and over them. The only thing I can compare them to is the piles farmers would burn when clearing fields for planting. No way would I go after that stuff there. Some was lumber boom logs 4 ft plus dia old growth. There is so much floating wood in the river out back I could use if I can get it as it floats past draging up wet wood wont work for me.

Divers have reported a conifer forest stumps off shore in Lake huron at 35 feet, miles off shore. These stumps are from when the uplift of the earth after the glaciation filled Lake Huron with water as we see it now. Ages range from 7095 ± 50 to 6420 ± 70 Calander years Before Present. What would this wood sound like?

A multiproxy environmental investigation of Holocene wood from a submerged conifer forest in Lake Huron, USA
http://science.cranbrook.edu/ftpimages/185/misc/misc_33780.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.