Green Mountain 60 Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DandL2311

Dec 28, 2020
Elkhart, IN
So, there seems to still be very few reviews of the Green Mountain 60 wood stove, so I thought I would share my experience here. We purchased this stove in November of 2019 and it was professionally installed in December 2019. The stove is beautiful! I love it’s sleek simple design. My primary reason for choosing this stove was efficiency, the large viewing glass, and the ability to put the stove so close to the wall (5” with heat shield). My wife was against getting a stove but always wanted a fireplace. I always wanted to be able to heat my home with wood because I am an arborist and have plenty of wood to burn. We came to a compromise because I promised my wife that this stove would look like a fireplace, and it certainly does! We installed it in what used to be our living room coat closet. In the evenings I load it up and damper it down for a slow burn. The glass tends to get black when you burn it this slow, however, when you heat it back up it will clean the glass and clear everything up for a beautiful fire view again. I can easily get 15 hours of burn time on this stove, probably more if I tried harder.
I live in a ranch style home with 2000 square feet. It’s an older drafty home, but we have all new windows and it’s fairly open concept. The stove is centrally located in our living room and it easily heats our whole house. The living room will be 72° and the 4 bedrooms will be around 68°. I love the stove and would be happy to answer any questions about it.

86147408-C2EF-44C0-A634-DB59D1DE0AF6.jpeg B4194CF1-E377-4A68-828B-1B87D0550102.jpeg 9D8DB461-6DB0-4B14-8C80-31B08CFE8A52.jpeg 63906ACC-1648-4B21-B352-5AFA80A6FA88.jpeg 43B07AE7-21EE-4FFE-A7CB-B0DB8764D9BA.jpeg D8829E99-C9AF-4F26-B8FD-A21F4B361418.jpeg FC637E96-AA56-4067-8517-6E6841F8F541.jpeg E036D901-5AC1-4FDE-B393-6A3ED3376885.jpeg 79F7028A-1965-4C04-94D0-B90A56AE7397.jpeg C342FD32-6718-4348-B384-D1BC534F1C2A.jpeg

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. I have this stove sitting in my garage waiting to be installed in another month or two, so I'm definitely happy to see positive feedback.
Can you describe your chimney setup? I know most of the negative reviews we've seen in here have revolved around smoke coming out of the top of the door during reloads. Do you have this issue?

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. I have this stove sitting in my garage waiting to be installed in another month or two, so I'm definitely happy to see positive feedback.
Can you describe your chimney setup? I know most of the negative reviews we've seen in here have revolved around smoke coming out of the top of the door during reloads. Do you have this issue?

So, I have zero issues with smoke rolling out. All I can say about the chimney is that it’s a 6” double wall and runs straight up and out through the roof. I had it professionally installed and that’s really all that I know and understand about it. I know that the crew who installed it was following the instructions in the manual because they referred to it often. I’m including a pic for you.

Attachments

• 12A83DFF-1CDD-4F64-8D0A-22B55336D342.jpeg
    12A83DFF-1CDD-4F64-8D0A-22B55336D342.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 604
So, I have zero issues with smoke rolling out. All I can say about the chimney is that it’s a 6” double wall and runs straight up and out through the roof. I had it professionally installed and that’s really all that I know and understand about it. I know that the crew who installed it was following the instructions in the manual because they referred to it often. I’m including a pic for you.
Cool, thanks. Good to know. Is the stove on that first floor shown in the pic? It seems like not a super tall chimney? Maybe just 6 to 8 feet inside the house and 6 to 8 feet above the roof?

It looks like the chimney pipe is tall enough to need a brace. This is required at the 5' level.

Reactions: Tar12
It looks like you have the blower on it? You happy with that?
I bought the blower as well.

Imt
It looks like you have the blower on it? You happy with that?
I bought the blower as well.

I think the blower is fantastic! You can’t even hardly see it when it’s installed. I like to keep it on low during the day to keep the heat moving. It’s nice and quiet.

Reactions: tabner
So, there seems to still be very few reviews of the Green Mountain 60 wood stove, so I thought I would share my experience here. We purchased this stove in November of 2019 and it was professionally installed in December 2019. The stove is beautiful! I love it’s sleek simple design. My primary reason for choosing this stove was efficiency, the large viewing glass, and the ability to put the stove so close to the wall (5” with heat shield). My wife was against getting a stove but always wanted a fireplace. I always wanted to be able to heat my home with wood because I am an arborist and have plenty of wood to burn. We came to a compromise because I promised my wife that this stove would look like a fireplace, and it certainly does! We installed it in what used to be our living room coat closet. In the evenings I load it up and damper it down for a slow burn. The glass tends to get black when you burn it this slow, however, when you heat it back up it will clean the glass and clear everything up for a beautiful fire view again. I can easily get 15 hours of burn time on this stove, probably more if I tried harder.
I live in a ranch style home with 2000 square feet. It’s an older drafty home, but we have all new windows and it’s fairly open concept. The stove is centrally located in our living room and it easily heats our whole house. The living room will be 72° and the 4 bedrooms will be around 68°. I love the stove and would be happy to answer any questions about it.

View attachment 270621 View attachment 270623 View attachment 270624 View attachment 270625 View attachment 270626 View attachment 270627 View attachment 270628 View attachment 270629 View attachment 270630 View attachment 270631
Hi,
Great setup! You and your wife sound similar to me and my husband… he wanted a stove and I wanted a fireplace with mantle, so hoping to install the green mountain 60 into an alcove. Do you mind sharing some of the measurements of your alcove? I read you converted a closet, and I’d be interested in knowing the height and width of your opening as well as any other measurements you care to share.

Thanks!

Hi,
Great setup! You and your wife sound similar to me and my husband… he wanted a stove and I wanted a fireplace with mantle, so hoping to install the green mountain 60 into an alcove. Do you mind sharing some of the measurements of your alcove? I read you converted a closet, and I’d be interested in knowing the height and width of your opening as well as any other measurements you care to share.

Thanks!
It's best to assume that not every alcove installation pictured is by the book. In hte example posted above, it's unclear whether the required rear clearance of 11" is met from the chipboard behind it. Note that marketing pictures are often the worst examples.

Start with downloading the stove's manual from Hearthstone. That establishes the alcove clearance requirements.

Last edited:
It's best to assume that not every alcove installation pictured is by the book. In hte example posted above, it's unclear whether the required rear clearance of 11" is met from the chipboard behind it. Note that marketing pictures are often the worst examples.

Start with downloading the stove's manual from Hearthstone. That establishes the alcove clearance requirements.
Thanks! I do have the stove’s manual with the minimum clearances for an alcove. I was more interested in knowing the measurements that were used here because I’m a visual person and wanted to know if the dimensions of the opening of the alcove I’ve sketched would be similar to this.

We’re still in the planning phase and want to make sure everything is 100% to code, so I definitely appreciate the tip!

It's a 2020 installation. I'm not sure if they will respond. Post your project sketches with dimensions in a new thread for review.

Reactions: MegBerg