Green Mt 80

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Untamed

Dec 1, 2023
Idaho
Hey all its my first post... I have a Green Mt 80 that we burned for one season last year. Month into my second season now. Been burning wood stoves most of my life. First cat stove and I have some things to discuss.

The gaskets fell off the door and area and the bypass after the first week of burning. Glued them back on. I noticed that as soon as they were cemented properly the burn times decreased. I messed with the handle but cant find a way to adjust it to make the door seal better. Gasket is in great shape but I can easily pull a piece of paper out when its shut. Burning the same wood Red Fir and lodgepole. Guess we need to replace the gaskets every season to get the long burn times?? It my only heat source, we burn 24/7 during the winter.

Also have to clean my cats about every week and a half otherwise the performance goes way down. Maybe should have got a BK 40. Getting sick of all the babysitting that needs to be done but maybe this is normal with cat stoves.

Normally gaskets last several years. Some stove makers have taken to installing gaskets with a self-adhering glue. This speeds up assembly, but I have seen them fall off like this. Sometimes this is within a few weeks. The issue has nothing to do with it being a cat stove hybrid.

Tell us more about the bypass gasket issue. That has to seal properly.

What was used to glue the gaskets back on? Some gasket cement hardens up the rope to the point where it doesn't seal as well.

Hey all its my first post... I have a Green Mt 80 that we burned for one season last year. Month into my second season now. Been burning wood stoves most of my life. First cat stove and I have some things to discuss.

The gaskets fell off the door and area and the bypass after the first week of burning. Glued them back on. I noticed that as soon as they were cemented properly the burn times decreased. I messed with the handle but cant find a way to adjust it to make the door seal better. Gasket is in great shape but I can easily pull a piece of paper out when its shut. Burning the same wood Red Fir and lodgepole. Guess we need to replace the gaskets every season to get the long burn times?? It my only heat source, we burn 24/7 during the winter.

Also have to clean my cats about every week and a half otherwise the performance goes way down. Maybe should have got a BK 40. Getting sick of all the babysitting that needs to be done but maybe this is normal with cat stoves.
Some stove designs are definitely more maintenance intensive than others. I too burn Doug fir for full time heating and the catalyst never needs cleaning during the heating season. So far I’m at about 6 years on this door gasket and haven’t needed to tighten the latch.

Proper installation of the correct door gasket is not as easy as it seems. There are lots of ways to screw it up.

I used red devil gasket cement and stove sealer. The gasket was hanging off in places around the door. Same with the bypass, I just spot glued it in places so it wouldn't smash it down to much let it dry and kept burning. The gaskets are obviously going to break in and smash down some. I burn every day for around 6 1/2 months so this stove gets some use. The gaskets are not hardened at this time.