Green Supreme pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bmking16

Dec 12, 2011
Northeast PA
Anyone else having issues burning Green Supreme this year? This years batch are creating a lot of ash and fines and aren’t burning as hot. I contacted them and after giving them the code of my bag it was determine my batch came out of Deposit, NY. They pulled the ash content of the pellets for their tests that day and found out there was a higher than normal content but it’s still under the pellet institute standards. But these are total crap this year. I’ve had my stove for 15 years now and never had an issue. It’s cleaned and maintained religiously.

i might get some GS i wonder what ill run into...

do you all know if the fines or dust that puff up when pouring in hopper could be mitiagated if i pour in 10 galon metal bucket outside house then pour them into hopper? will the dust from outside pour into trash can make it so less dust when i pour them in hopper? Fiance hasnt heard about the dust detail yet, our install is today

have no idea... I am of the pellet people who picking up 40lb bags more than needed is too much.
pick up to stack. pick up to pour.. done..lol
btw: GS have about 7 different flavors so hard to tell...
Lignetics took over lot of brands including energex who supplied Box stores like home depot with middle road Stove chows for years.
Imagine those are sold at the box store in a GS bag..

I got the northeast blend this year. I’ve been on the phone with Lingestics for over a week now. Based off the bag code I gave em my batch came out of Deposit, NY. They pulled the sample test for that day and found several run had higher ash content of .85 but that is below the industry standard of 1. For the past few years we’ve gotten the Allegheny blend and apparently they come out of a plant in PA. I had no issues with them. But this year all anyone in my area had was the northeast blend. They are gonna have send them a quart size zip lock bag of my batch to test.

Northeast blend is usually a bit dusty and produces a bit more ash than other middle of the road pellets. At the same time, they are usually pretty consistant on heat output.

The deposit NY site is a NEWPs plant and they make several different products so that may make a difference (or maybe not).

1708072886180.png

Th heat output on these are terrible. I keep track every day of stove settings, heat range, stove temp, etc since I got the stove. I am also not the only one having an issue with these. My brother and neighbor are having similar issues.

The price difference between the (usually) mediocre big box pellets and premium pellets from smaller sellers didn't seem to be that much this year. I've been using Wood and Sons for several years now after getting too much big box junk that had lots of ash, clinkers, soot on the glass and lower heat. There used to be a $100 difference per ton. This year it was only around $30. Nonetheless, prices are INSANE.

Reactions: hinmo24t
best to buy from private dealers as more choices available in hardwood and soft.
box store stuff is middle grade at best most times.
prob pay a bit more but we all pay more for many things if we want better quality..food,appliances , cars , furniture etc..
see no difference in paying more for better wood pellets hardwood or softwood.

Reactions: hinmo24t
best to buy from private dealers as more choices available in hardwood and soft.
box store stuff is middle grade at best most times.
prob pay a bit more but we all pay more for many things if we want better quality..food,appliances , cars , furniture etc..
see no difference in paying more for better wood pellets hardwood or softwood.
You prompted me to ask friend again he just said $385 a ton for good and sons I told him deal I'll buy one or two tons from him

What blend did you get? Midwestern blend were bad ashy and tons of fines
Well, not liking the sound of that. Just got 4 tons delivered from HD for $315/ton - including delivery charge but also had a 10% off coupon). Looked yesterday and noticed they aren't Northeast blend, which is what we usually get her in NH, but Midwestern blend.

Green Supreme Midwestern pellets.jpg

Kind of weird to get something from MI instead of NH or NY. Fortunately my stoves tend to like hardwoods, and I'm used to fairly ashy burning. As long as they put out some heat, it will be fine. Just means I'll have another line on my spreadsheet to fill out when I do get to burning these, which may not be for another couple of years at the rate I am not consuming pellets.

Reactions: Tonyray