Green supremes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cleetussnow

Oct 3, 2012
Westchester, ny
Hi All

Has anyone burned Green Supremes yet this year? I bought a few bags just see what was what and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I got a heat gun temp on the end of the convection tubes on my envrio m55 of 500 degrees which is as good as it gets for me. Seemed ashy, but also hot enough to burn ash off of the window which I have not seen from these pellets in the past.
I burned some last year and they were trash. Low flame height and heat was laggard. I burned lacrete during the cold months.

I was planning on burning green team this season since I cannot get lacrete so far this fall. I got a ton of green supremes and will burn a few bags to confirm my observations so far and decide what route to take. Could be a mix and match season if the GS are what I think they are.

I have a suspicion this years batch locally are what used to be stove chow. No direct evidence except whats going on in the burn pot.

Which Green supremes did you get, they have 8 different ones,being your in NY I'm gonna guess probably northeastern blend which is a hardwood/softwood blend. Stove chow was rebagged Energex and Green Supreme are Lignetics.

Reactions: BansheeTwin350
Yep…northeastern blend. Running a new pallet now to see if I get the same results (so far so good). The local HD said if I bought 4 more tons they would deliver them free and give me the discount price of 277 total per ton. This is a great deal.

I had tried the Northeastern Blend last year and wasnt that impressed. I just finished with several bags of the Appalachian Hardwoods, and was very happy with them. The bags were weighing in over the 40 pounds listed, not a lot of ash, and they burned pretty cleanly on low fire, threw a good amount of heat. There were a lot of fines stuck to the inside of the bag, and it was pretty dusty when I dumped into the hopper, however.

If I knew I could get them again next year, I would order that same blend without hesitation. Usually where I am it would be the NE blend.

From TSC. Been burning the hardwoods this year, so far they have been OK. Not much dust, smaller equal pellet sizes, ash and heat OK..Last winter both TSC house brand and the Green Supremes they had were horrible..

From TSC. Been burning the hardwoods this year, so far they have been OK. Not much dust, smaller equal pellet sizes, ash and heat OK..Last winter both TSC house brand and the Green Supremes they had were horrible..
8 flavors of green supremes. Some are as low as 8K btu and mounds of ash. Depends what region u live as to what's available. Yeah, stove chows are in there somewhere under the lignetics umbrella which took over energex that supplied the ashy chows to HD in the Northeast areas as long as I can remember.

Been burning pellets for twenty years and have had good, better, best, and OMG miserable. Been burning Green Supreme from Lowes in Southern NH for the last three years, am satisfied and plan to use again next year. I might have had better in the past but not by much and certainly at a higher price than others available at the time. Price today for Green Supremes at Lowes in southern NH is appx. $310 per ton. Satisfies me for heat output, acceptable fines, acceptable ash and competitive price. I use appx. one bag per day starting mid-November thru mid to late April. Without records for evidence I think temperatures are most often in the teens, single digits, and twenties. There are brief periods (hopefully) below zero and also some periods in the thirties. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope this info may be useful for someone.

Been burning pellets for twenty years and have had good, better, best, and OMG miserable. Been burning Green Supreme from Lowes in Southern NH for the last three years, am satisfied and plan to use again next year. I might have had better in the past but not by much and certainly at a higher price than others available at the time. Price today for Green Supremes at Lowes in southern NH is appx. $310 per ton. Satisfies me for heat output, acceptable fines, acceptable ash and competitive price. I use appx. one bag per day starting mid-November thru mid to late April. Without records for evidence I think temperatures are most often in the teens, single digits, and twenties. There are brief periods (hopefully) below zero and also some periods in the thirties. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope this info may be useful for someone.
7 or 8 different blends of GS's. Some Horrible, mediocre and decent so if posting about them it would help to identify which blend it sez on the bag. Different regions= different GS's. You might have one of the better ones.

7 or 8 different blends of GS's. Some Horrible, mediocre and decent so if posting about them it would help to identify which blend it sez on the bag. Different regions= different GS's. You might have one of the better ones.
Blend of Green Supreme which I have now are labelled Northeastern Blend.
Specs. listed on the bag:
Heat Value 8000 - 8300 BTU's/lb
Moisture Content 3.0% - 5.0%
Ash Content 0.4% - 0.6%
Density >41 lb/cu ft

I burn these in Harman Invincible Insert installed in 2002.
Specs. for the unit are:
BTU Range 7000 to 53000
Hopper capacity 40 lbs.
Blower size 190 cfm
Heating capacity 1700 sq. ft.
Flue size 4" round
Fuse rating 5 AMP
Weight 354 lbs.

Lowes in Southern NH also has Greene Team pellets at $440 per ton. That is $130 or 40% more than Green Supreme. If my memory is working, I think I bought some of these some years back when there was not as much of a price difference as 40%. They likely were a little bit better than Green Supreme but, to me, they were not better enough that I would now pay 40% more.

"Perfection is overrated. Let good be good enough." (Quoted from somewhere or another.)

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
These: The Appalachian Hardwood Blend

I got 6 tons of GS last spring during the sale. These aren't marked as any "flavor", but I assume they are the northeast blend (and most likely NEWPS). They are super ashy compared to my usual TSC MWPs, but put out as good a heat, so I can live with it.

Heres my data

Green Supreme - Allegheny Mountain Hardwood Pellets purchased through Leeway Ace Hardware
Purchased 1/6/23
Color Med brown, semi buff exterior
Pellet size between 5.84 - 7.25mm
Time to burn = 18hr, 07min
Average Glass Temperature (measured at center) = 463.54 °F
Ash weight (fully brushed out stove and burn pot) = 3.8oz
Ash description = granular to powder.
Glass cleanliness = 40% lite brown to black deposits.
Much more fine black ash on all interior sides of stove during cleaning.
Smell = Used Oil

GS, Appalachian Hardwood, from TSC..Found this in bag today :

20230308_131025.jpg

I got 5 bags a couple of weeks ago of the Allegheny Mountain HW's. They put out a lot more heat than the Northeast blend.

1678349865176.png

Reactions: Tonyray
Went by HD today and saw green supreme have rebranded to now read ‘green supreme premium plus’. The bag says “up to 8400” BTU. I doubt these are different than the northeast blend I got last year. There are no other specs whatsoever on the bag or on the green supreme website. ”Up to“ can mean anything. It would be nice if they were 8400 or otherwise “premium plus” because the price is certainly a premium plus @ $350 a ton. Burning some now.

Reactions: bogieb
Went by HD today and saw green supreme have rebranded to now read ‘green supreme premium plus’. The bag says “up to 8400” BTU. I doubt these are different than the northeast blend I got last year. There are no other specs whatsoever on the bag or on the green supreme website. ”Up to“ can mean anything. It would be nice if they were 8400 or otherwise “premium plus” because the price is certainly a premium plus @ $350 a ton. Burning some now.
Yeah, everyone is using "up to" nowadays. Been seeing ads recently on TV, "This [item] is up to 100% effective at controlling leaks,"

It would be so much better if they gave the btu range on those pellets like they used to.

Reactions: Cleetussnow
I am curious about these too.