Green?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

old greybeard

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2018
PA

We need to stop pretending we care, while we shift our pollution and poison other countries. Being a Union member, and a responsible environmentalist, I was appalled when we passed GATT and NAFTA in the 90’s. Has destroyed our economy in many states due to loss of jobs. And we’ve NEVER held the countries we sent our jobs to responsible for their pollution and abuses. Pushed for by and signed by Clinton, who has since became a multi millionaire.
All for green, but lets quit pretending we’re doing things right.

This report actually came out of an investigation conducted by Greenpeace for Wired magazine. PJ Media, trying to stir the pot, fails to mention this. The war in Ukraine has put pressure on other countries to fill the gap in nickel product demand. Third-world labor standards are often not up to what western world countries require. Nothing really new here. It needs to change. It's funny how PJ Media is quiet about the working conditions of US miners or the people living downwind from US oil refineries. That doesn't stir up as much outrage I guess.

This dark side has existed for decades. It's not right, but it has nothing to do with "greens" and everything to do with our extractive and wasteful economy. It's not a green or red issue. It's about human rights. We've been shipping out our waste to third-world countries for a long time and on the taxpayer's dime. "Greens" have been lobbying for producer responsibility laws for a long time in this country like those that have been in place in Europe for the past 30+ years Unfortunately, corporate resistance comes with deep pockets.

Reactions: semipro

We need to stop pretending we care, while we shift our pollution and poison other countries. Being a Union member, and a responsible environmentalist, I was appalled when we passed GATT and NAFTA in the 90’s. Has destroyed our economy in many states due to loss of jobs. And we’ve NEVER held the countries we sent our jobs to responsible for their pollution and abuses. Pushed for by and signed by Clinton, who has since became a multi millionaire.
GATT was originally signed by 23 nations in Geneva in 1947, the World Trade Organization later succeeded GATT and the GATT 1947 is still in effect under the WTO framework subject to modifications of GATT 1994.
NAFTA had its beginnings in the Enterprise For The Americas (EAI) under Bush, carried forward by Clinton.
Just politicians doing what politicians do......:confused:

Looking at pj media's history of misleading or flat out wrong information since about 2018 I don't put much weight behind their reporting.

Yes conditions and environmental impact of mining and manufacturing in other parts of the world is a problem. But this is nothing new at all and is absolutely nothing specific to "green" technologies. It's across the board. The writers of that article clearly only care about using that problem to push their political agenda.

im glad to see someone waking up. Most of what people pimp out as 'green' is just another cash band wagon.
same companies are poisoning adults/children with medicines and food for the almighty dollar. Sugar is a drug, and it's in kids cereals, bread, everything. Cancer is a major epidemic in America, but since it is big business we wont discuss the root causes. (or we will wait for 20 - 30 years until 'enough studies confirm')

Reactions: River
im glad to see someone waking up. Most of what people pimp out as 'green' is just another cash band wagon.
same companies are poisoning adults/children with medicines and food for the almighty dollar. Sugar is a drug, and it's in kids cereals, bread, everything. Cancer is a major epidemic in America, but since it is big business we wont discuss the root causes. (or we will wait for 20 - 30 years until 'enough studies confirm')
Uhhh sugar is a drug???? Yes of course it can be bad for you in excessive quantities like many people eat. But I don't see how it qualifies as a drug.

And cancer effects people all over the world not just in the US. We are #4 but the top 10 atleast are all pretty close. I do agree businesses have way to much power in our country but can't agree with lots of the other things you said there

Every (no sourdough) bread, everything with yeast needs sugar. So yes, they put sugar in bread. Otherwise you end up with a brick. I know. I sometimes forget ingredients...

On another note, our bodies make sugar (glucose). So if it's a drug, I'm self-medicating here :cool:

Reactions: semipro
Every (no sourdough) bread, everything with yeast needs sugar. So yes, they put sugar in bread. Otherwise you end up with a brick. I know. I sometimes forget ingredients...

On another note, our bodies make sugar (glucose). So if it's a drug, I'm self-medicating here :cool:
I can make enough pizza to feed 16 people with 10 grams of honey. Sugar is addicting. They pump way way more than is necessary into foods (along with salt) to make it sell, then slap a 'natural' label on their box that could hold 30oz of material but only contains 12 oz.

Reactions: stoveliker
you use pizza as an example while complaining about the health quality of food...

I agree though, that manufacturers (!) add too much stuff, and process too much.

I adhere to the philosophy that if my grandmother (born 1908, passed now, of course) would not have recognized it as food, it's probably healthier not to eat it.

Well, if you know how to make a nutritious pizza it is definitely good food...

I can make enough pizza to feed 16 people with 10 grams of honey. Sugar is addicting. They pump way way more than is necessary into foods (along with salt) to make it sell, then slap a 'natural' label on their box that could hold 30oz of material but only contains 12 oz.
It's the high fructose corn syrup that pimps up the sugar level in many of these products. Totally unnecessary, but also a long way off the subject of human abuse in mining and refine ores. The western world wants all the toys but is often not willing to pay the price to provide safe and equitable working conditions in "chithole" countries.

I think that in Europe they impose tariffs on products produced in places with lower environment standards, to even the playing field for companies that do produce more responsible.

Don't know about labor conditions in this respect.

Yes, the European Union has had significantly better producer responsibility laws for several decades. They enforce a cradle-to-cradle (or grave) responsibility on the product producer for almost every part of everything made there including cars.

Yes, but my point was that imported products made where no such requirements are present (and that thus have a competitive advantage) get taxed extra.

That is what is needed to create a level playing field w.r.t. environmental regulations.

Yes, I got that. Do you know if they also have producer responsibility requirements that extend to imported materials like nickel alloys and rare earth magnets?

Since we're talking about the dangers of mining, this seems relevant.

2 confirmed dead and 50 missing pressumed dead in an open pit coal mine collapse in China.

Yes, I got that. Do you know if they also have producer responsibility requirements that extend to imported materials like nickel alloys and rare earth magnets?
I am not sure, but I think not. It's an approaching with many hole in the net they cast....