Greenhouse plastic cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have seen a lot of people use plastic like that so it may work fine. I would use the painted plywood as it is a lil heavier and more durable because it gets plain windy where i am and that stuff would end up ripped on me. Add some sticks on top to hold it down for windy days and it should do the trick better. Make sure to overlap sheets like a roof if u do use plywood though. Old tin roofing/corrugated metal works great for this as well. Maybe you can find some on craigslist on tge cheap.

I use discarded greenhouse plastic to top cover all my stacks. Not sure of the thickness but it works well as long as it is weighed down.
You could ask at any local farms that use greenhouses or high tunnels. The plastic on those things needs to be changed every so many years and there is often a lot of plastic lying around.

I use discarded greenhouse plastic to top cover all my stacks. Not sure of the thickness but it works well as long as it is weighed down.
You could ask at any local farms that use greenhouses or high tunnels. The plastic on those things needs to be changed every so many years and there is often a lot of plastic lying around.
Yeah, I hate to use new plastic since there are so many toxic byproducts created in its production. I would go for something that is already made, and prolong its useful life a bit..

It’d be pretty great to get that stuff on the stacks and see what ad you ended up with when the next google earth images update.

Think a little bit of water hitting the bottom-sides of a top-covered stack is ok? They are covered, but the wind and splashes blows a little in. No big deal right?

Yes they will b fine. My stacks get a little wet on the sides from wind and rain from time to time but the next fair day they are dry. The main point is to keep rain from falling down through the stack where it is harder for wind to dry it back out which slows the seasoning process.

Reactions: StudlyHogly