greenwood 100 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizard

Oct 24, 2013
imlay city mi
I am installing a new greenwood 100. I have decided to install as a closed loop. Installing a 3/4 bypass with normally open zone valve and 8' of fin tube for any overheat, like a power failure. I have heard alot of bad things about thhe greenwood and am hoping they are not true. anyone have anything to help with my install to avoid any mistakes and make my in a tall smoth and pleasant.

Fin tube is about 600 btu per foot @ 180 deg.

Most overheat loops are sized for 10% of boiler capacity.

Search around here, lots of very good info.

You'll want to install some form of low return water temp protection (Danfoss) valve.

Dry wood, 2-3 yrs ahead = nirvana.

I'd think about adding more fin tube to your dump zone. 8' is not a lot - and seems to me I've read about more than 1 Greenwood overheat.

Also second the return temp protection, if it's not there already.

Since it's new - did you buy from a dealer? If so ask them for suggestions/guidelines/help too.

I was planning on installing a 1" taco mixing valve to keep return temp at 140 f is that whst you arevtalking about.

I have seen a you tube with a digital stat for heat retention, can someone explain that to me, how to wire it, best temps to set it at, and were to get it.

Thanks for the help

I have seen a you tube with a digital stat for heat retention, can someone explain that to me, how to wire it, best temps to set it at, and were to get it.

No idea what that is. Can you post the vid?

I was planning on installing a 1" taco mixing valve to keep return temp at 140 f is that what you are talking about.
If you're talking about a Taco 5000 series you may need to sharpen your pencil and make sure it can flow enough to carry away the heat. They've got a fairly low Cv and IIRC you can't expect to pull more than 4.5 gpm or so through it with a 007/008/15-58, meaning you're limited to about 110,000 btu per hour with 140 degF in and 190 degF out.

I'm using one on my coal boiler and it works great, but on a coal boiler I can set the maximum burn rate and not have any surprises.

Last edited:
you will want a much larger power-outage dump zone. It is my understanding that, because this type of boiler holds so much heat in the massive refractory, you are actually best off with a pumped dump zone powered from a battery back-up or automatic generator.

Reactions: ewdudley
go to greenwood indoor wood boiler installation video 2 digital controller. sorry I could not figure out how to upload.

what is the model of the Danfoss valve?

Fin tube is about 600 btu per foot @ 180 deg.

Most overheat loops are sized for 10% of boiler capacity.

Search around here, lots of very good info.

You'll want to install some form of low return water temp protection (Danfoss) valve.

Dry wood, 2-3 yrs ahead = nirvana.

What is the m# of that Danfoss valve

Valve:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Danfoss-193B1701-ESBE-Series-1-1-4-3-Way-Thermic-Valve-Body-Only

Thermostat for it:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Danfoss-193B1704-ESBE-Series-Thermostatic-Element-140-F-Opening-Temperature

I'm not up on the Danfoss particulars, but there is one model that people use a partly-closed ball valve on the bypass line to get to work right (at least with storage), and a newer one that doesn't need the partly closed ball valve. I think this one is the newer one, but not sure. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.