Griddle and Ash Tray door gasket question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baerjo

Nov 28, 2022
Minnesota
In the continuing story of trying to get my new Defiant to burn longer than 4-7 hrs, I had resolved the front door leak issues, we're pretty sure due to dollar bill test. Next on the list are the ash pan gasket and the griddle gasket. Both are very flat and don't seem to seal very well, or at least fail the dollar bill test. I did see there is a flat gasket style out there though so I'm not sure if this is wrong on the stove or not? Keep in mind this is brand new from Dec 2022 and gaskets are in great condition still...beyond VC doing a crap job checking air tightness that is. I'd love to see some pics of someone's VC ash pan gasket and griddle gasket to see if I have the right ones on there or if I need something a bit fatter than these flat barely there styled gaskets. I'm honestly most concerned about the ash pan gasket first.

Mine is an Encore and it uses just a rope style gasket for the ash pan door. my griddle uses a thinner gasket that is in a metallic casing. I bought the kit from Midwest Hearth.

Reactions: baerjo
I ended up tightening the ash pan latch as much as I could. It's a beast to open and close but seals way better. I got my first ever 8hr burn the other day.