Grounding my indoor EKO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave T

Mar 28, 2008
Dansville NY
Hi everybody I was looking around in the archives and I can not find methods people are using to ground an indoor boiler.Does it not require a grounding rod because it is an indoor unit? If it does where does the rod go..Thanks again for all the good info..
DAVE

TacoSteelerMan said:
Hi everybody I was looking around in the archives and I can not find methods people are using to ground an indoor boiler.Does it not require a grounding rod because it is an indoor unit? If it does where does the rod go..Thanks again for all the good info..
DAVE

I'm sure an actual electrician will jump all over me if I'm worng, but here goes:

1) The EKO is grounded through the three-prong plug that powers the unit.

2) Unless you use dielectric unions, it's also grounded with extreme prejudice through the plumbing.

I think you're covered.

Thanks for the quick reply NoFossil thats one less thing I have to worry about

It should end up grounded suring install by way of its connections to the AC power supply (which will have hot, neutral, and ground) but beyond that, I can't think of any reasons it'd need special extra grounding so long as it's inside a properly-wired building that's not in a high-lightning risk area.

if you are using as metal chimney that you're worried might attract lightning, and/or if you're in a high lightning risk location, I guess there's be little downside (other than cost of the copper conductor) in doing some extra grounding, in which case you'd want to use the larges gauge conductor you could afford to "tie" it to the electric service's ground, and any other major metal in your house

Status
Not open for further replies.