Growing Firewood in the 'burbs ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wiringlunatic said:
kenny chaos said:
Here's something I do in my woods; when you harvest it, instead of cutting it real close to the ground, leave about a two foot high stump and that will sprout many branches. Trim all the branches except one and that branch has the whole root system of the old tree and will grow four times as fast. You now have an eternal firewood tree.Ken :lol:

Poplar especially will grow back like that. I've watched people try for years to get rid of poplar trees with little luck by cutting them down over and over again. Another fast grower is pin oak. I'm not certain how that would fare in CA, but it is considered a fast grower here in PA. There is another tree that I've seen in Allentown, PA that I think they said came from China or Japan. I'm not sure what it's called, but it is a deciduous tree that grows at an alarming rate. The main tree is about 50-60 years old and probably is 3-4 feet in diameter. It tends to grow seedlings on its own all over the place which may be 8 feet tall by summer's end. It does drop seed pods, however, which explains its rapid propagation. I just wish I knew what it was called.

You may be thinking of Paulownia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia

Poplar especially will grow back like that. I've watched people try for years to get rid of poplar trees with little luck by cutting them down over and over again. Another fast grower is pin oak. I'm not certain how that would fare in CA, but it is considered a fast grower here in PA. There is another tree that I've seen in Allentown, PA that I think they said came from China or Japan. I'm not sure what it's called, but it is a deciduous tree that grows at an alarming rate. The main tree is about 50-60 years old and probably is 3-4 feet in diameter. It tends to grow seedlings on its own all over the place which may be 8 feet tall by summer's end. It does drop seed pods, however, which explains its rapid propagation. I just wish I knew what it was called.[/quote]

You may be thinking of Paulownia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia

Status
Not open for further replies.