Gutter system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Can anyone recommend a good DIY gutter system? I've got a rather long roof line at 80-feet and it needs to hold up to Maine winters. Is what I can get at the big box strores OK? Any thoughts are appreciated.

In my experience, hanging it properly is the biggest thing. An 80' length should probably be drained in 3 locations, so pitching it properly might be interesting. Seamless is always best IMO, but you'd need at least 4 helpers to hang one that long and hire someone to come out and form it for you on site. Big box store gutters are basically the same as what you'd get anywhere else... It's the quality of your joint assembly that makes them leak.

Reactions: sloeffle
Call a gutter Guy , the premium you pay at a box box store will be noticable...many seamless pros give you the option of install, but are willing to spit off the trough and accessories, with no install.

Reactions: johneh and NickW
We have a guy here that forms the gutter to any length
you want. We used him for the old farmhouse because we have a rainwater cistern
and wanted it done right and last a lot of years. it cost me less than the system at the DIY store
Even if it cost more, well worth the money

Reactions: NickW
migth even need more than 3 down spouts depending on windows & doors and to keep the pitch from looking too out place from one end to the other.

Thanks, all. Sounds like getting a quote would be a good idea. I've read the pitch to be 1/8" every 10', so that would be an inch diffence if starting in the middle and going to each end. Would that look out of place? Similar homes in the neighborhood only have 2 downspouts per span and to be honest, the pitch isn't much noticeable.

That will work, I would doubt you will be able to maneuver a 80' piece. Check to see if your local guy recommends a expansion joint at your 40' seam. I have witnessed long runs of straight trough buckle and kink from lack of allowed movement. I have also witnessed 80' runs buckle and kink trying to be installed. That's 1 long piece to try and get up to the eave....
Is your roof a asphalt or steel roof? If it's steel you may want to use straps with the hidden hangers as well. Ice buildup in the troughs of some steel roofing is substantial and can rip your brand new trough off the first year...

If you have the old torn off, you may be surprised at how reasonable the installation cost may be. If drips drive you crazy you may want to use the preformed corners vs the hand mitred style. The formed corners generally don't drip as much but you do forgive some aesthetics imo. Remember they only drip when it rains
Here, 5" trough and 4"x4" downspout is preferred over smaller stuff. I have noticed in some places like Florida they even have larger trough as well. Again the amount of ice determines part of that equation.

It's a single story dwelling, so the downspout will only be 10 feet to the ground. Even so, you're right, it is a long run. No gutters at the moment.

Reactions: mcdougy
The smaller size downspout can back up easier from volume and plug easier from debris. I would stay away from 4x3 downspout if 4x4 is available.

When I replaced my roof some time ago I had to replace the gutters. I left a space about half way between the ends of my 80 ft back wall where I could install a ladder up against the roof edge, not against the gutter. The gutter slopes down in both directions from there. I have to climb up on my roof to clean my chimney about once a month during the winter. The permanently installed ladder, and the platform installed so I can step directly onto a snow and ice covered roof make things ever so much easier.
100_2255.JPG

Reactions: semipro and johneh
Get multiple bids. My bids this summer varied from $660 to $2200. Both reputable companies and people I know. I cornered the guy who gave the $2200 bid, and he told me he did not need the business and would miss more profitable work if he took my job.

I have leaf guard brand. Made on site, one piece, Pricey but I never clean them. They do ice over the top in the winter. But gutters don't work well in the winter

Call a gutter Guy , the premium you pay at a box box store will be noticable...many seamless pros give you the option of install, but are willing to spit off the trough and accessories, with no install.
Yes. Some things you pay a pro to do. Gutters are in that list. Looks easy on YouTube, but halfway through you ll be agreeing with me

Reactions: johneh
I did my own with 6" gutters and oversize downspouts from a box store, and have been very happy. It was easy to pop rivet and caulk the sections together. I did it with one helper and no experience, and came out looking good enough for my wife... I put on a micromesh gutter guard, which works well. It is on a south facing roof in California, so it gets a fair bit of snow but melts off regularly; we get enough sun that there are no ice dam issues.

The advice I got was to not slope the gutters.
I looked at lots of gutters in my town, and none have any slope to them. Since the gutters are very oversized, there are no issues with drainage. I have a 64-ft run with a downspout at each end. They have only been through one winter though, so they may develop issues in the future.

Where in Maine? I was told if you put a gutter on it won't be there in the spring. LOL. My first house had a gutter at the entry door. It was there when I bought the place and in two years it was on the deck. I'd rehang it and it would come down. This was on the north side. When I designed the new house it was done with a doorway that did not have a drip line over it.

If it's not hung too high on the facer board it should be ok.....but I don't live in Maine to know the conditions.

We have a guy here that forms the gutter to any length
you want. We used him for the old farmhouse because we have a rainwater cistern
and wanted it done right and last a lot of years. it cost me less than the system at the DIY store
Even if it cost more, well worth the money
We did this. The guy brought his machine to our house and quickly made the gutters sections to length. It worked out well.
Be sure to hang your gutters low enough where ice sliding off the roof doesn't take the gutter with it.

I have had remarkable good luck with Rainhandlers which deflect the water coming off the dripline of the house so it hits the ground over a wide area. I have had them for about 20 years. Yes on occasion they ice up and I loose one or bracket pops but most of the time I can just do a bit of bending and they pop back in place.

Where in Maine? I was told if you put a gutter on it won't be there in the spring. LOL. My first house had a gutter at the entry door. It was there when I bought the place and in two years it was on the deck. I'd rehang it and it would come down. This was on the north side. When I designed the new house it was done with a doorway that did not have a drip line over it.

In the Brunswick area. Some neighbors have gutters, some don't. I do rake my roof when there is any substantial snow. Wondering if that would affect the gutters? Not a very steep roof, so ice and snow sliding is not an issue.

Standard gutters usually make ice damming far worse. Many folksin New England take them off because of the damming. I knew several folks that would remove then in the fall and put them back in the spring. Our family had gutters on a house that had ice damming, the entire development had the same issue. We put in heating cables on the first 2' of the roof from the soffit up and then ran a cable in the base of the gutter and down the downspouts. We were one of the few homes who still had gutters and did not have to worry about ice dams. We didnt need to leave the cables on all the time, we just turned them on when there was snow on the roof and a sunny day was predicted. Once the water started running under the ice it would melt out channels and we could turn them off.

In the Brunswick area. Some neighbors have gutters, some don't. I do rake my roof when there is any substantial snow. Wondering if that would affect the gutters? Not a very steep roof, so ice and snow sliding is not an issue.

Ya near the coastal area I see gutters lasting longer. Might need a heat cable system.