Had enough ... what OAK to buy for Harman P68?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bontchimuz

Sep 14, 2016
Rye, NH
I love my pellet stove. LOVE IT. It works great. When I had it installed I decided with the advice from my installer to not install an OAK and see what I think first. It works great. Now a few years later and my friends who loved my Harman have bought their own. BUT. They went with OAKS.

I have noticed the following in their homes compared to mine:

-better burn
-use less pellets
-almost zero draft inside house
-maintains better moisture

I am now convinced I want an OAK.

Does anyone know the best model to buy for a Harman P68? My buds got generic models through their installers but I think there must be better models or even Harman models out there. I also want to install this myself and am handy more or less ;)

Thanks and I know.....another OAK thread? Apologies....

Harman does make a wall thimble that covers the exhaust and OAK all in one. I installed one when I put in my P68 and it works well. Very well, but it wasn't cheap. I paid $250 bucks for the all in one deal at my dealer where I bought the stove.

On my PC 45 I used a much cheaper wall thimble and oak setup. It works well also so.....

Look online and Google "harman wall thimble with outside air intake" There are many threads about to OAK or not to OAK. It is a no brainer in my opinion and a must have. Now you know why. Others will argue otherwise and I jut shake my head but to each their own.

Reactions: Bontchimuz
I love my pellet stove. LOVE IT. It works great. When I had it installed I decided with the advice from my installer to not install an OAK and see what I think first. It works great. Now a few years later and my friends who loved my Harman have bought their own. BUT. They went with OAKS.

-better burn
-use less pellets

Does anyone know the best model to buy for a Harman P68? My buds got generic models through their installers but I think there must be better models or even Harman models out there. I also want to install this myself and am handy more or less ;)

I'd advise to add a metal ball valve. I added a brass ball valve where the OAK exits the wall. It comes in handy to shut off the air when you have to shut down the stove for cleaning or maintenance in the real cold months. Also close it during the summer it helps keeping the humidity down better than just taping off the air intake outside.

ETA: I also insulated the metal pipe and ball valve.

Reactions: bags

-better burn
-use less pellets

have a P61A.
whole oak materials came from my Harman dealer..
deff on the right track there. our 1st year with the stove we would sit on the floor and always felt a stream of cold air.
this of course was the [fresh air] coming back to the stove but in reality, it was the heated air we paid for returning.
next season got the OAK and draft was gone.!!!

Reactions: bags