Had to Put my Dog to Sleep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is any help in confirming that you did the right thing: I just heard today from some folks I know that their dog had been ill, and their 12-y.o. stayed home to keep an eye on him--and the dog died on his watch. Mighty hard on him, not something you want to take a chance of puting any child through.

Homebrewz, thanks for that info about the vets. A good reminder to not leave their load too heavy when we go.

As a veterinarian who works emergency, I am very sorry for your loss and sympathize with you and your family.

Homebrewz- i am not sure where you are getting your info but i think you may be thinking of dentists (sorry to any dentists... old joke) but i don't think suicide is that much of a concern in our profession. My wife is a vet too and we both are thankful everyday for having such a fulfilling and stimulating job where we can make a difference. Yes, euthanasia is a very difficult part of the job but at the same time, it is one of the most selfless decisions and compassionate gifts we can give to our loyal companions. Not to get into too big of a political/religious side track but i think it is one area where veterinary medicine is much better than human medicine.

Exmasonite said:
Homebrewz- i am not sure where you are getting your info but i think you may be thinking of dentists (sorry to any dentists... old joke) but i don't think suicide is that much of a concern in our profession. My wife is a vet too and we both are thankful everyday for having such a fulfilling and stimulating job where we can make a difference. Yes, euthanasia is a very difficult part of the job but at the same time, it is one of the most selfless decisions and compassionate gifts we can give to our loyal companions. Not to get into too big of a political/religious side track but i think it is one area where veterinary medicine is much better than human medicine.

My ex is a vet and I frequently worked as her assistant during emergencies (large & small animal). Fell in love with the work myself, but that's another story. We had discussions about the profession and she mentioned the suicide thing, otherwise I would not have thought of it. Very happy that you and your wife enjoy the profession.. its a great one to have.

Anyway, there was a recent study in England indicating the suicide rate among vets was 4 times the national average (in England at least) and double that of MD's and dentists.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4310596.stm

Talked to our vet who said that so many get into it for the love of animals, but then make them nervous, poke them with needles, etc for the little time they see them in a year. I never thought of it like that. We love our vet- very caring, seem very knowledgeable.

sorry for your loss...i have no dog, but i do love them so.

sorry to hear of your loss. i lost a cat some time ago and had do do the same with a beloved dog. seeing the picture of the dog with ball brings back great memories mixed with sorrow. doing the right thing isn't always easy but has to be done. i dont have tissues so im just going to use my shirt sleves. thanks for sharing this along with the treasured photos. pete

Status
Not open for further replies.