Half-ton pickup redux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The F150 wheelbase varies from 122- 163" depending on config. The short wheelbase version is pretty navigable. The long-bed double cab is like steering the Queen Mary. Awkward in the neighborhood supermarket lot.

Driving a quad cab long bed can be a bear. My truck is somewhere around 21' long including bumpers and Ms Spacebus won't drive it. After many years driving 30,000 lb six wheeled trucks with mail slot windows as long as a vehicle has good mirrors I can drive it. Armored humvees are especially annoying since the driver can't see the passenger side mirror and there's no rear window.

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah, you’d have to move the rear axle to make it useful. When I move 8 ft lumber on my 5.5’ bed, the truck almost pops a wheelie from the cantilevered weight behind the rear axle.
Not a problem with the 6.6Ft bed. Can either stack on top the gate to shift some of the weight toward the front. Or keep the gate down and 8 footers still dont reach the back of the gate. Iv been hauling my JD Mower in the back no problem as well as the kids Trail Bikes and building supplies on a daily basis for 90+% of my needs. I can see where i would be more limited with a 5.5 bed. Hauling the JD would be out. Of course for heavy or longer loads i always have the option of a full size bed ext cab HD work truck on standby. In your case its the trailer.

Not a problem with the 6.6Ft bed. Can either stack on top the gate to shift some of the weight toward the front. Or keep the gate down and 8 footers still dont reach the back of the gate. Iv been hauling my JD Mower in the back no problem as well as the kids Trail Bikes and building supplies on a daily basis for 90+% of my needs. I can see where i would be more limited with a 5.5 bed. Hauling the JD would be out. Of course for heavy or longer loads i always have the option of a full size bed ext cab HD work truck on standby. In your case its the trailer.

Yeah, my 6.5’ bed with quad cab was definitely better for hauling heavy PT lumber, for the reasons you just mentioned. The 5.5’ works okay, and has a much nicer (damn near limousine-scale) back seat for the family, but it’s all a compromise. If I ever sell that tandem-axle trailer, it would be strong incentive to get back to a longer bed, but it’s honestly easier moving most stuff on the trailer! Can’t imagine getting a mower in and out of the back of a pickup, but perhaps we have a different thing in mind when we say “mower”.

309a51c72b21ead6a0063ca5e5798308.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t imagine getting a mower in and out of the back of a pickup, but perhaps we have a different thing in mind when we say “mower”.

View attachment 246380
Had to order the 42 in deck vs the larger sizes in order to fit in the truck. That worked out well though as i dont get to mow that often an the grass gets high. So the smaller deck can power thru the high grass.

very few configured that way around my parts standard cab short box

very few configured that way around my parts standard cab short box
Yeah, but you also live where camo is considered formal wear, and most will say their favorite vegetable is bratwurst. [emoji14]

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Can’t imagine getting a mower in and out of the back of a pickup, but perhaps we have a different thing in mind when we say “mower”.
I use ramps to load the X350. 385298-lawnmowerstractorsandztrs-johndeere-x350.jpg

Exactly! Trucks should have inline sixes, period. I used to have a 500+ HP daily driver, with a six speed manual, but I rarely miss it. My step dad had a 440 AWHP four door sedan, but his favorite car, and mine, is a Miata. All that power on surface streets just gets me into trouble, and it's not that fast anyway. If you want to know what fast is, get a motorcycle. Your wife might not be pleased with you, but outside of F1, you won't go any faster. All summer I've been hearing guys howling off in the hills along the coast, I've been super jealous. My wife is glad I sold my bike though, and it's probably for the best since I could never stay out of trouble on it.
I am picking up a 2000 miata for my wife tomorrow. They are cheap reliable fairly good on gas and tons of fun. She will mainly use it as a fair weather commuter but she might get back into racing after a bit.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Zack R
...but she might get back into racing after a bit.
Between bholler’s exrtreme 4-wheeling, and now this, I do believe Mr. and Mrs. Holler may qualify as the most interesting couple on hearth.com.

Reactions: bholler
Between bholler’s exrtreme 4-wheeling, and now this, I do believe Mr. and Mrs. Holler may qualify as the most interesting couple on hearth.com.
I dont do any extreme 4 wheeling any more. I now try to keep all vehicles upright.

I am picking up a 2000 miata for my wife tomorrow. They are cheap reliable fairly good on gas and tons of fun. She will mainly use it as a fair weather commuter but she might get back into racing after a bit.
If you have any questions, I know more about those cars than most people know about their spouse.

If you have any questions, I know more about those cars than most people know about their spouse.
It seems to be in really good shape just needs a new top. Not a spec of rust on it. And everything works even the ac. The temp.didnt seem to go up at all with the ac on either which is good.

It seems to be in really good shape just needs a new top. Not a spec of rust on it. And everything works even the ac. The temp.didnt seem to go up at all with the ac on either which is good.

How long do you plan on keeping the car? Canvas tops with glass windows are more expensive, but well worth the investment if this is a car that will be used regularly. Usually these cars have underwhelming AC performance, so good that you found one that can keep up. These cars usually don't overheat and the engine is fairly robust given the humble roots. The only thing that will kill this engine is revving it over 7,500 RPM and oil starvation (usually a money shift from fifth to second does this). 2000 is probably the best year of Miata, especially if she found one with a six speed. Keep an eye on the soft top drains (a trombone brush is excellent for this) and you should never have to deal with rust.

I have worked on and driven a fair number of them just havnt owned one yet. But thanks i wont hesitate to ask. I am glad we found a nb they are my favorites other than the newest ones.

How long do you plan on keeping the car? Canvas tops with glass windows are more expensive, but well worth the investment if this is a car that will be used regularly. Usually these cars have underwhelming AC performance, so good that you found one that can keep up. These cars usually don't overheat and the engine is fairly robust given the humble roots. The only thing that will kill this engine is revving it over 7,500 RPM and oil starvation (usually a money shift from fifth to second does this). 2000 is probably the best year of Miata, especially if she found one with a six speed. Keep an eye on the soft top drains (a trombone brush is excellent for this) and you should never have to deal with rust.
I havnt driven it enough to know how well the ac works just that it puts out cold air. A few i have worked on had over heating issues with the ac on. But they also were modified so i dont know if it was due to that. I am pretty sure the drans are clogged. The trunk was wet but it was stored under roof untill he put it out for sale so no damage done.

And yes the special edition has a six speed the strut tower brace and limited slip diff. And some other non performance stuff.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It does have a glass window but a vinyl top. I will look at canvas though. It is only $1800 with 115000 miles so plenty of room to fix the few issues. The leather is worn but can easily be re dyed if it bothers her. The doors cards are shot and there is a dent in the drivers side fender. Otherwise i havnt seen any issues.

Another member with a wife that likes performance cars ,what could go wrong, good luck BH i know how you feel. We may spot her in that miata on our way to McClure. My BIL sold his ,he is experiencing mid life "get rid of things "crisis.!

Another member with a wife that likes performance cars ,what could go wrong, good luck BH i know how you feel. We may spot her in that miata on our way to McClure. My BIL sold his ,he is experiencing mid life "get rid of things "crisis.!
When i met her shecwas driving a 48 chevy pickup street rod that ran 12s as a daily driver lol. Since then she has been spoiled with comfortable reliable cars.

Reactions: Zack R
I havnt driven it enough to know how well the ac works just that it puts out cold air. A few i have worked on had over heating issues with the ac on. But they also were modified so i dont know if it was due to that. I am pretty sure the drans are clogged. The trunk was wet but it was stored under roof untill he put it out for sale so no damage done.

And yes the special edition has a six speed the strut tower brace and limited slip diff. And some other non performance stuff.

Nice, one of the best years and versions available. Where did it come from? I knew a kid in NC with a 2000 SE, but he was not kind to it. Those 99+ 1.8 BP engines had solid lifters with shims under the buckets. No hydraulic lifter noise, but more maintenance. The head flows slightly better than the early 1.8's as well. If a Miata is having overheating issues it usually comes down to the fans not turning on, especially if it is because the AC is on. Make an account on Miata.net if you haven't, loads of great info on there, like how to clean the drains, and a wealth of other really specific data.

Nice, one of the best years and versions available. Where did it come from? I knew a kid in NC with a 2000 SE, but he was not kind to it. Those 99+ 1.8 BP engines had solid lifters with shims under the buckets. No hydraulic lifter noise, but more maintenance. The head flows slightly better than the early 1.8's as well. If a Miata is having overheating issues it usually comes down to the fans not turning on, especially if it is because the AC is on. Make an account on Miata.net if you haven't, loads of great info on there, like how to clean the drains, and a wealth of other really specific data.
No idea where it is from. For the price I didn't bother with a car fax or anything.

When i met her shecwas driving a 48 chevy pickup street rod that ran 12s as a daily driver lol. Since then she has been spoiled with comfortable reliable cars.
I drove a car than ran 9's as a daily driver, in my 20's. Then again, my commute was pretty darn short, back then.

My current daily driver runs high-11's on drag radials, or low-12's on street tires.

My 1/2 ton pickup (redux) is slower. :p

I drove a car than ran 9's as a daily driver, in my 20's. Then again, my commute was pretty darn short, back then.

My current daily driver runs high-11's on drag radials, or low-12's on street tires.

My 1/2 ton pickup (redux) is slower. :p
Hers ran mid 12s on Street tires. But they were 14" wide street tires. She only had about $3500 in it though. That is the benefit of having a father who builds street rods. We were actually pretty near you when she had that. We were going to textile at the time. Or Philadelphia University after they changed the name.

Hers ran mid 12s on Street tires. But they were 14" wide street tires. She only had about $3500 in it though. That is the benefit of having a father who builds street rods. We were actually pretty near you when she had that. We were going to textile at the time. Or Philadelphia University after they changed the name.
Cool! Maybe this will bring back some memories, the last of the old days in Philly, before the kids with obnoxious Japanese cars took over:

Reactions: johneh
Status
Not open for further replies.