Half-ton pickup redux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A dwi is pretty different from a few extra logs in the truck. If you are dangerously overloaded to the point it's hard to stay on the road I understand but otherwise it happens. Sometimes you overload to save that last 2 hour round trip. But then drive accordingly slow down and give yourself lots of room to stop. Better yet take the road less traveled. If the extra weight was ruining the roads I see a reason for the enforcement but it's not.

Well, all I had is 6-7 beers during a day on the lake, maybe it was 8 or 9, I'm not sure but I wasn't having any trouble keepin' it between the lines. And those three elk in the bed might be a few hundred pounds over the legal limit but I loaded them forward and the weight is down low. And while it's true I was technically just inside the city limits when I shot those elk (I shot across the road that is the city limits, don't worry, I looked both ways and no cars were coming), the fact is, the entire herd was in the county proper and hunting season started in a mere 12 hours. I swear that officer just wanted to mess with my freedoms! So sad that a reasonable man can't do as he reasonably pleases!

The point is that standards exist for a reason (the law can't be subjective). A DWI is .08, hunting season starts at a specific time of day and in a specific geographical area, a truck is rated to carry up to a specific load and it's not legal to hunt when there is a public road between you and your prey. That said, most cops I've met are only going to pull you over for being over-loaded if it looks unsafe to them. Most personal trucks over-loaded a little bit and driving in an otherwise responsible manner are not going to get attention from law enforcement. Commercial trucking is a different matter. The limits are strict and the operators are expected to abide by the limits exactly.

Have I ever over loaded my truck? You bet I have. It's rated at 1750 and I have had it grossly overloaded on public roads (more than double). I drove a mile on a deserted Forest Service road at 15-20 mph. Then I turned onto a State road with no visible traffic and drove 100 yards at 20 mph before turning onto a private road. I was ready to take a ticket (although the chances were as close to nil as you can get). But I wouldn't disparage law enforcement if I had been ticketed. I broke the law and deserved a ticket if caught! I don't see this as a taking of my individual freedom as much as I see it a tool to make it safer for all.

Reactions: bholler
Back when there were no worries:

aBKwOzN_700b.jpg

you see ranger size trucks carrying stuff like that here all the time, live in a rural area, or tractor attachments hanging out and over, back wheels rubbing. hay you see alot too on all the size trucks just as high you can stack it without it tipping. im sure thats within specs..

i worked on alot of trucks, mine and i worked at a fleet place, and my families, dodges leak everything and the electrics are terrible and expensive, had a f150, bronco, 550, 250 work van, all left me stranded more than once, the 550 in the middle of jan, waiting for a tow in something like that is a few hours every time too, none of my gms ever left me even broke. they just like to rust so i always get them zeibarted.

the newer ratings seem like sales gimmick more than anything had a 89 c1500, f44 350 was probably rated for 1k or less gvw but i had more than a ton in it a bunch of times, hauled it fine, nice and stable, stopped good, was setup like a 1500hd, my avalanche is too, 3/4 hydroboost, disc brakes all that, i would never haul more than a 5 hundred in any half ton they are all way too squishy, well all but dodge but they ride too bad unloaded too put up with it.

Some call them Ranger-250's

Not to beat the dead horse.

I bought a 3/4 ton for greater stopping power / bigger and heavier duty brakes. I can care less about HP and tow ratings. Any modern truck 1/2 ton can tow a lot but I would like to see it stop it in a pinch.

To quote my buddy's dad, who has been a grain farmer all of his life: "it is better to have too much truck than not enough"

If I had 2 trucks side by side, one my old rough riding noisy 2001 Dodge 4x4 2500 diesel and a late model comfy quiet 1/2 ton I would jump in the Dodge every single time. Something about being in a real truck makes me happy.

Reactions: redktmrider
Running gear - that is the difference as you move up the scale, Ford at one time made a heavy 1/2 ton ( or call it light duty 3/4 ton) - basically a 250 chassis with lighter springs and a 150 body-last ones were about 1997. starting with the 98/99 models the bodies and chassis were the same for the 250/350 pumpkins and axles were different between the two, by 02/03 everything except the springs were the same. 06 is a transitional year lot of odd stuff there that wasn't carried forward into 07( 250/350) don't remember when the 150 got the torsion front end support might have been with the body style change around 96/97 model year that carried on until about 03 when it went back to a coil/ strut type assembly up front. Can't say where it's all at after 06 as I haven't had anything newer than that to wrench on.

Planning to get new or (almost new truck in the next 6 months or so but ill keep my older trucks for the grunt work. Also for trips in the woods ,i dont care if my 23 or 25 yr old truck gets another scratch on the paint or gets all muddy. The new one will rule the road in the asphalt jungle.

Planning to get new or (almost new truck in the next 6 months or so but ill keep my older trucks for the grunt work. Also for trips in the woods ,i dont care if my 23 or 25 yr old truck gets another scratch on the paint or gets all muddy. The new one will rule the road in the asphalt jungle.

I do a motorcycle and a subcompact car for going to work and the grocery store, ratty old truck for banging through the woods and hauling stuff.

Guess which of those is more fun, though. :)

Image895977546.jpg

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I do a motorcycle and a subcompact car for going to work and the grocery store, ratty old truck for banging through the woods and hauling stuff.

Guess which of those is more fun, though. :)

Obviously the motorcycle is more fun!

i beat up my truck every day, whether I like it or not! At this point, its mostly rust, but its probably the best $300 I have spent in a while... That being said, i realize that I should not be putting more than 1/2 ton in it... but i do, and I drive VERY slowly and only short distances....
20170702_122204.jpg

i beat up my truck every day, whether I like it or not! At this point, its mostly rust, but its probably the best $300 I have spent in a while... That being said, i realize that I should not be putting more than 1/2 ton in it... but i do, and I drive VERY slowly and only short distances....
View attachment 200799
And parts are cheap for these classics. i just got a 93 1/2 ton with a stick for a gift ,put a classic plate on it. My new mountain camping truck.

And parts are cheap for these classics. i just got a 93 1/2 ton with a stick for a gift ,put a classic plate on it. My new mountain camping truck.

Maybe I should see if those plates are any cheaper. My old banger has 17 years on your 'classic'. ;)

Related trivia: Did you know that Dodge was still putting oil bath air filters on 3/4 ton trucks in the late 70s? I thought those things were gone in the 60s, except for heavy equipment.

Image1136718427.jpg

Plate is a one time charge in PA ,about $12 more than the 1 yr plate but its good indefinitely. No 1 yr renewal. Plus a hear yur insurance is 1/2 price with this plate so thats a much bigger savings.

My daily driver truck is a 95 K2500 Silverado in fabulous condition. 23 yrs old. I dont think you can get a classic tag for a heavy truck.

This one's the extended cab with automatic (i wish it was stick), a tape player, an after market 6 disc cd-changer, and a welded (rusted) in tow ball that is perfect for making sure you smash your shins. I think it might hit 200K in the next few months! its my daily driver as well...

This one's the extended cab with automatic (i wish it was stick), a tape player, an after market 6 disc cd-changer, and a welded (rusted) in tow ball that is perfect for making sure you smash your shins. I think it might hit 200K in the next few months! its my daily driver as well...

upload_2017-10-3_6-29-3.jpeg

This one's the extended cab with automatic (i wish it was stick), a tape player, an after market 6 disc cd-changer, and a welded (rusted) in tow ball that is perfect for making sure you smash your shins.

I will see your rusty welded-on shin-bashing ball and raise you...

Image294720682.jpg

Three vacant ball holes, an extra reciever in case the other 4 balls are not satisfactory, a vacant pintle hook mount, and on the front of the truck...

Image1926169854.jpg

Two rusty welded-on balls and a square reciever in case you don't like the first two. And as a bonus...

Image1958095722.jpg

Toolbox also contains ball hitches. You know, in case you run out.

Don't ask me, it was like this when I got it! :)

I will see your rusty welded-on shin-bashing ball and raise you...

View attachment 200835

Three vacant ball holes, an extra reciever in case the other 4 balls are not satisfactory, a vacant pintle hook mount, and on the front of the truck...

View attachment 200836

Two rusty welded-on balls and a square reciever in case you don't like the first two. And as a bonus...

View attachment 200837

Toolbox also contains ball hitches. You know, in case you run out.

Don't ask me, it was like this when I got it! :)
holy balls....

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Got my radiator support panel for the 93 at the u pull it today. $30 and about 20 minutes work. A new one was only $70 but the shipping was also $70.
Either way thats cheap for a 5 foot by 2 foot high steel structure that the radiator and the 2 front fenders mount to. Still need a windshield ,brake cyl, and fix the wipers and she will be ready to mount the classic tags.

Nice. I just got new power steering lines in (had leak and it was hard to spot, because the snowplow hydraulics were leaking onto the power steering leak, and it's the same fluid). I need to get the new carb's choke hooked up to the cab and I'll be ready to plow!

It still needs electrical troubleshooting to get the blinkers going - and an exhaust system - to be street legal, but I didn't buy it to go on the street, so that stuff's low priority.

you can put non commercial plates on a truck, many people dont know because they dont tell you crap at the dmv, its a bit cheaper. the antique plates are the same price but you can put them basically anything over 26 years in ny. the ins is way cheaper though i have agreed value from grundy and its 156 a year. obviously varies by the area and car, all sorts of regs too, garage and other cars to drive to work, seems easy to me no mileage restriction

I looked at classic plates in PA when I had my old truck. The thing that stopped me was the fact that PennDot specifies any truck with a Antique, Classic or Vintage plate isn't allowed to carry a load, which sort of defeats the purpose of a truck.

I'm sure you could get away with it but my travels would take me on decently patrolled state highways.

I looked at classic plates in PA when I had my old truck. The thing that stopped me was the fact that PennDot specifies any truck with a Antique, Classic or Vintage plate isn't allowed to carry a load, which sort of defeats the purpose of a truck.

I'm sure you could get away with it but my travels would take me on decently patrolled state highways.
I asked the Notary if there are any restrictions and she said only that its not your daily driver. But i guess she may be unaware about load restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.