Half-ton pickup redux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't license or insure my vehicles. Only one of them. The one my wife drives. And mostly cause the other 4 only see dirt roads and never make it into town!
You do realize you can still have an accident even out of town and on dirt roads right. Guys like you driving without insurance raise the rates for the rest of us thanks for that.

You obviously have not been involved in many insurance claims if you think they would not deny a claim for a "technicality" which is actually a clear violation of the law.
If that were the case millions of accidents would not be covered as most of the time people are violating traffic laws during the accident. Running a stop sign ,speeding ,falling asleep ect ect. Iv had a few accidents in my 45 year driving career. At no time did my insurance company ever ask what kind of registration plate i had on my truck ,or if i even had any at all. Their only concern was who was at fault to figure out whos insurance pays the claim. And if i had any claims in the previous 3 years they add a surcharge for a period of time. Honestly i did not see a fraction of this blowback to those driving a seriously overloaded truck which is a real danger to all those on the road as opposed to arguing over the definition of "occasional driving" and insurance company policies. If you kill someone or cause a serious accident cause your truck is overloaded is light years away from getting in a serious accident while driving your classic vehicle 2 days in a weeks time vs one. Any way when i get the policy ill read it carefully ,but i dont expect to find "the type of registration plate" in the list of reasons for denial of coverage. Im only getting liability ins. not full coverage .

You do realize you can still have an accident even out of town and on dirt roads right. Guys like you driving without insurance raise the rates for the rest of us thanks for that.
Wow you sure are paranoid BH ,how do you sleep at night . Lighten up if you dont want to turn into an angry old man. If he gets into an accident without insurance on a dirt road he will pay for it the old fashioned way ,"out of pocket" .

Say you're driving your "antique" 1991 Corvette 200 miles home after showing at a neighboring Vette club car show. If it gets dark on the way home you have to pull over and get a motel?
Many times these are transported on a car carrier. But that is one requirement of an antique tag ,probably partly because no yearly inspections are required.

Wow you sure are paranoid BH ,how do you sleep at night . Lighten up if you dont want to turn into an angry old man. If he gets into an accident without insurance on a dirt road he will pay for it the old fashioned way ,"out of pocket" .
What about if he hits another car? Did you ever notice that charge on your insurance for uninsured motorists? How much do you think that charge is on our commercial policy with 6 vehicles on it? Our trucks are on back dirt roads many times and could easily be hit by someone there. And if they don't have insurance mine has to cover it.

If that were the case millions of accidents would not be covered as most of the time people are violating traffic laws during the accident. Running a stop sign ,speeding ,falling asleep ect ect. Iv had a few accidents in my 45 year driving career. At no time did my insurance company ever ask what kind of registration plate i had on my truck ,or if i even had any at all. Their only concern was who was at fault to figure out whos insurance pays the claim. And if i had any claims in the previous 3 years they add a surcharge for a period of time. Honestly i did not see a fraction of this blowback to those driving a seriously overloaded truck which is a real danger to all those on the road as opposed to arguing over the definition of "occasional driving" and insurance company policies. If you kill someone or cause a serious accident cause your truck is overloaded is light years away from getting in a serious accident while driving your classic vehicle 2 days in a weeks time vs one. Any way when i get the policy ill read it carefully ,but i dont expect to find "the type of registration plate" in the list of reasons for denial of coverage. Im only getting liability ins. not full coverage .
I have news for you they don't ask because they already know. And I am assuming those accidents weren't involving vehicles with classic car registrations and insurance and all of the restrictions that go along with them

daily transportation is not allowed. The administrative interpretation does not disallow "occasional transportation", it just doesn't mention it.
"Occasional driving" is a very subjective ,and ambigious term. Another thing is how would it be proven when and how many times you have driven a vehicle in a particular period of time. An officer stopping you for whatever,would have no way of knowing . Just the fact that you have seferal other normally registered newer vehicles is your proof that your classic Veh is NOT your daily driver. And you can only drive one at a time. I always thought it unfair to pay the same amount of insurance on each vehicle you own, even thought you can only ever drive one at a time. But i guess from the Ins companies point of view ,you could be loaning them to family members or something ,and all are actually on the road at the same time

What about if he hits another car? Did you ever notice that charge on your insurance for uninsured motorists? How much do you think that charge is on our commercial policy with 6 vehicles on it? Our trucks are on back dirt roads many times and could easily be hit by someone there. And if they don't have insurance mine has to cover it.
I expect that charge we all pay is 99.9% from irresponsible motorist who are driving ON the street without insurance. And there arr a LOT.

We all pay that uninsured motorist fee. But sometimes i wonder how that is even legal for the Ins to be charging us. im guessing its to protect US from the many drivers who dont have ins. who hit US , it just seems so unfair we have to pay for this. Should be fund that uninsured motorist pay int when they get caught.

We all pay that uninsured motorist fee. But sometimes i wonder how that is even legal for the Ins to be charging us. im guessing its to protect US from the many drivers who dont have ins. who hit US , it just seems so unfair we have to pay for this. Should be fund that uninsured motorist pay int when they get caught.
Exactly we are all paying for insurance for people like Lloyd who don't think anything will ever happen. And dirt roads are still roads and unless they are all private roads you need insurance to drive on them. He is not driving without insurance he is driving with insurance we pay for.

Exactly we are all paying for insurance for people like Lloyd who don't think anything will ever happen. And dirt roads are still roads and unless they are all private roads you need insurance to drive on them. He is not driving without insurance he is driving with insurance we pay for.
There is mechanism for that and if you dont cover an accident you cause you can be sued to recover damages. I guess it just easier for the insurance companies to slap the cost onto their already paying customers than to sue the absconders. I still dont think that should be allowed by law.

There is mechanism for that and if you dont cover an accident you cause you can be sued to recover damages. I guess it just easier for the insurance companies to slap the cost onto their already paying customers than to sue the absconders. I still dont think that should be allowed by law.
They will typically go after the uninsured but many times they can't get any money. But none of that changes the fact that he is driving on insurance the rest of us are paying for.

They will typically go after the uninsured but many times they can't get any money. But none of that changes the fact that he is driving on insurance the rest of us are paying for.
Actually its insurance that pays you if you are hit by an uninsured ,they dont pay the guy that dont have insurance unless the accident is YOUR fault. In that case your ins. would pay anyway .

Reactions: saewoody
Actually its insurance that pays you if you are hit by an uninsured ,they dont pay the guy that dont have insurance unless the accident is YOUR fault. In that case your ins. would pay anyway .
Yes I know that. We are paying for his liability insurance.

Reactions: saewoody
I'm my own insurance company. When I hit a tree I have to pay myself to fix it
Yes but what happens if you hit another car? What happens if someone is hurt or killed? The other drivers in your state pay for your liability insurance no way around it.

I'm my own insurance company. When I hit a tree I have to pay myself to fix it

When I hit a tree I let the truck and the tree sort it out between the two of them. It's a good system.

Image269548833.jpg

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
It sure is tough to find an insurance company that offers liability-only coverage on an occasional use vehicle. I already have 2 cars and a motorcycle on the road, and they're nuts if they think I'm paying $60 a month for a truck that won't even go on a public road in a normal month.

I thought Hagerty was going to be my ticket, but they won't touch an offroad vehicle (or sell liability-only policies).

If I don't get ear cancer fron being on the phone with insurance companies all day, I will apparently be turning into one of the people bholler doesn't like. :p

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
i found out that my truck has this cool retractable light in the engine compartment!

-OkMe_1rhKUR7HtT4RHp6A1HdWweYZXI28j4kDxDdopoEqbewUyGZVcDHrESC98Bhz9jGtCZKSOTcsWXtAc=w490-h653-no.jpg

i found out that my truck has this cool retractable light in the engine compartment!

View attachment 201075

I found a bunch of new lights on my truck by looking through the factory service manual's wiring diagrams. I've been messing with that because I'm trying to get the blinkers working. Got a bunch of stuff eliminated, waiting on my steering wheel puller to arrive so I can test the switch in the column.

I am finding with this truck that a lot of what it needs is repairing someone else's repairs... like the mashed-with-a-wrench hydraulic line, or the way that "the battery will go dead if you connect the dome light" (because someone replaced the bulb holder with one that grounds the ring directly to the cab, which means you're cutting all three switches out of the ground-interrupt circuit). Or like the exhaust shop will laugh at me because the tailpipe has 10 beer cans on it. ;)

Hey I think you bought my old truck. Should be half a roll of baling wire and a roll of duct tape under the seat.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.