Hamer's Hot Ones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shoe1757

Dec 10, 2022
SW Pennsylvania
Well I am half way through my first pallet of Hamer Hot Ones made in Elkins, WV. I was super excited to try these after seeing all the race reviews all over the internet. So paying $325 a ton ($75 more than I normally pay) was a no brainier. Unfortunately I see no less ash and no more heat with these than the Cheat River I have been using. Maybe slightly less fines. But the bags are definitely more delicate. There has really been no difference in ash build up or ash cakes in my PelPro pp130 or my Quadrafire Contour. I would buy them again, but only if they were the same price as the competition.

Reactions: bbechtel16
Not a bad price for Hamers. Here around Allentown I snagged Lignetics at $300 a ton with free delivery in the fall. Now they are $350 everywhere.

Dang. I would think prices should be going down since we've had a rather mild winter. I would like to try somersets or barefoot but I can't find anyone near me with them in stock.

my dealer in Bucks county Pa carries barefoot and hamer.. buckspellets.com
bought a ton of the hamer which haven't used in quite a few yrs..
remember them to have a coarse black ash but pretty hot back then.

Well I am half way through my first pallet of Hamer Hot Ones made in Elkins, WV. I was super excited to try these after seeing all the race reviews all over the internet. So paying $325 a ton ($75 more than I normally pay) was a no brainier. Unfortunately I see no less ash and no more heat with these than the Cheat River I have been using. Maybe slightly less fines. But the bags are definitely more delicate. There has really been no difference in ash build up or ash cakes in my PelPro pp130 or my Quadrafire Contour. I would buy them again, but only if they were the same price as the competition.
i noticed a lot more ash with the hamer hot ones this year than previous years. Anyone else seeing this?

i noticed a lot more ash with the hamer hot ones this year than previous years. Anyone else seeing this?
Ash is course black as I remember back long time.. I have been top softie burner for yrs so anything more than a cupful is lot to me.lol that Said, I have been running My P61A on feed rate 2/half since with the hamer as the heat has been more than enough 24/7. Have couple ton of NW doug firs and NW super spruce in basement. My plans this season has been to Not be wasting the better stuff ( and pricier) for shoulder season or higher un- seasonable temps like we have had here in Eastern Pa. Clean my stove every sunday so no change there. Also getting ton of Barefoot for same reasons. Short answer is yes. More ash.. spouse is home all day so she will pull any ash mounds down to the burnpot once or twice a day with this long tool. So I am fine with the Hamers.

Screenshot_20210209-183514_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: