Hampton HI 300 Insert installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt7546

Sep 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Been a member for about a week now, but lurked on here for the last few months doing research.
We decided to have a Hampton HI300 installed into a non-functioning gas fireplace. This fireplace is in an older house which was originally a coal fireplace.
The old finish was a cermaic tile over brick and had a gas line capped sticking up the middle. The hearth was poured concrete that was covered with a non-matching tile.

I found an add on CL for a guy ripping down a house offering free red brick. I got 300 of said brick and re-bricked the entire area. As for the insert, so far so good, throws plenty of heat with my marginally seasoned firewood.

Here's before and after pics:

DSCF0951.jpg

DSCF0970.jpg

Of course as you can see the blue ladder in the last pic, have to repaint the room now because my wife says the brick "clashes" with the original colors. And I even get to make a new mantle to boot.

I most definitely prefer the change to the brick . . . looks good.

Have to agree, I like the brick better. The room color is pretty neutral and is picked up by the grout color. I'd say live with it for a bit so that you can get used to the new look. Looks like a good time for some winter procrastination.

Will a hearth extension be added? That looks a bit shy of the required 18".

BeGreen said:
Will a hearth extension be added? That looks a bit shy of the required 18".

I'm glad you mentioned that. The installer measured from the end of the stove opening (inside the door) to the end of the brick and gets 18". I do not feel comfortable with the current clearance and plan to add a few more rows until I have 18" + from the outside of the door to the end of the brick.

sgt - - -

Where where where did you get that small 'hoe' that is laying on the left side of the hearth in the second photo?

Shari

Shari said:
sgt - - -

Where did you get that small 'hoe' that is laying on the left side of the hearth in the second photo?

Shari

Lowe's has them in with the garden tools. I think it was meant for a kid as there was a choice of purple or bright green. Nothing a spray of flat black didnt fix. It is quite sturdy, and is all metal constructed. But for the $3.00 I paid it was the perfect tool for what I wanted.

Pertty nice stove you got there! You're going to love the heat this throws once you break it in and have some nice seasoned wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.