Hampton HI200 Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersurvey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2015
New Jersey
Hi all, I am new to the site and love all the great information. I read a lot about stove temperature. I have a Hampton HI200 insert with a 20 foot SS liner in the chimney. What is the optimum burn temperature and where could I take the reading. The liner is not visible as you would have with a wood stove.

I am burning 1.5 year seasoned mixed hardwood.

Thanks All

Take the reading or put a magnetic thermometer on the left or right top corner of the door. I haven't run this stove but would expect an average running temp there to be between 350 and 600F.

If the HI200 is like the HI300, getting a good reading directly off the steel firebox is difficult due to poor access. I rely primarily on the glass temperature measured with an infrared thermometer. If you go this route, you will have to determine the optimal burn temperature for yourself by trial and error. This is because the glass can have a significant offset relative to the firebox temperature, plus every install will have a different sweet spot temp.

My stove runs best when the glass temperature peaks out in the 625-725 range, and settles in to cruise in the 550-650 range. Before I insulated the fireplace, I would have said the best cruising temperature was in the 600-700 range.

Take the reading or put a magnetic thermometer on the left or right top corner of the door. I haven't run this stove but would expect an average running temp there to be between 350 and 600F.
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a Rutland stove thermometer. And planning on getting a inferred thermometer.

image.jpg

I'm getting a reading of about 400 degrees F at the metal bar in front of the glass. Does that sound about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.