Handheld Brush Cutter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At 1:48 he says he's not telling. Sheesh - time to grow up.

As my brother says, this is one of those guys who is: "Seldom right but never in doubt".

There's no end of people just smart enough and with enough initiative to design and manufacture some truly bad ideas.

Reactions: TreePointer
Looks like it is about a foot of saw chain clamped between two round wooden donuts so that about 4" of chain hangs out of each side. If the lengths are protruding equal and balanced, the load should not be too bad. He is correct, a blade will choke up on a lot of that stuff. I just wished he'd included some shots of it in action.

Here's another interesting brush blade using chainsaw teeth.
http://www.discountarboristsupply.com/Chainsaw-Tooth-Brush-Blade-p49.html
http://www.atvyardtrim.com/BeaverBlade.shtml

Last edited:
Found the action shot. She gives away the secret if you listen to the audio.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
I have seen this before in a store in town. He might have made that one buy I know one can be bought

About 5 years ago while on duty riding the ambulance, we had a call were a guy was using a weed whacker with a saw tooth brush blade, he slipped and the thing kicked back at him, took literally half the sole of his foot off, clear through the work boot. I have a similar brush issue at my house (luckily not as much as that guy in the video but never the less a fair amount, I've floated the idea of getting the blade for my weed whacker but then I think of that call and hedge trimmers although they take much more time, seem like the better idea.

We have one of those chainsaw blades but it is not as good as a normal brushcutter steel blade. I cant see anyway that weedwacker chain thing would be better, just more dangerous and definitely much tougher on the brushcutter.

I've got one too. It has 2 short pieces of chain on it and little flat pieces of steel on the ends of the chain. It was ok at best but was bad about grabbing in heavy vines.

OT: We have a 6' and 7' Bush Hog for that sorta stuff, trees and all, right down tot he ground if you like.

Wow I just googled to find a photo of the one I have and it seems to have been recalled, one actually killed a 3 year old little girl. Had no idea it was recalled.
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2000...call-of-Weed-Trimmer-Heads-With-Metal-Chains/

You have to wonder what a 3 year old girl was doing around this kind of apparatus :( I'm sure another fine example of poor decisions

I like the looks of that thing too!!

My thoughts exactly also on the 3 yo but sometimes you just never know when a little one is going to come out of nowhere. The trimmer I used to have was a commercial Shindaiwa T27 that would turn 12-13,000 rpms, one could only imagine how far that piece chain would go if it broke or wore through on the steel pin.

When we moved to our current home in '95 I was mowing and was getting ready back up and looked behind me like usual and when I did there was my oldest son, 5 yo at the time, right behind the riding mower. He had been walking behind me and I didn't see him until it was almost too late. We had a very long talk after that and there was no playing near the mower or even in the same area when someone was mowing. Scared the h@ll out of me when I turned around that day to think what might have happened if I hadn't looked behind me.

We buried our youngest son at age 21, 3 1/2 years ago due to sudden heart failure, a condition he was born with but nothing could be done about it except a heart transplant and those just don't happen sometimes. I can't imagine the feeling of killing my child due a piece of equipment flying off and hitting them. Our situation is bad enough.

Very sorry for your loss!! As a parent I can't imagine the feeling of loosing a child. And I know what you mean about little ones sneaking up on you. Had many with my two boys as well........now the oldest is driving

This happens way to quick

Reactions: Grateful11
The blades should only be used on straight shaft brushcutters....

Yep, blades should be used with straight shaft brush cutters with bike handles (no loops) for control. Also add in the proper guard.

The Stihl Chisel Tooth Blade works very well in woody brush. I've even cut down a 5" tree to test its limits. The teeth are shaped like the cutters on a saw chain and are even sharpened with the same round files.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/tr...ries/trimmer-heads-and-blades/circularchisel/

Reactions: chickenman
Status
Not open for further replies.