hanging a mantel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rreale

Oct 22, 2008
upstate ny
So i bought this 6x6 by 6 feet long pine barn beam for a mantel over my fireplace. I wanted to use some french cleats i bought. But, The ledgestone i need to attach them to is just too uneven and the cleat is not supported very well on the stone side.

I am thinking of putting the cleat on some type of plate. I am concerned about the thickness of the plate, because i want to keep the mantel as flush as possible to the ledgestone. Yes, i have read that some people have routed or chiseled out the mantel to achieve this.

So what should i get for a plate. I would need to be about 4 feet long. Should i get a piece of flat steel or should i get a piece of or or maple . I was thinking 2inch width and half inch thickness.

If i went with with wood could i wood screw the cleat to it or bolt it.

the mantel weighs about 33 lbs.

thx

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_121205656.jpg
    IMG_20190203_121205656.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 121
So i bought this 6x6 by 6 feet long pine barn beam for a mantel over my fireplace. I wanted to use some french cleats i bought. But, The ledgestone i need to attach them to is just too uneven and the cleat is not supported very well on the stone side.

I am thinking of putting the cleat on some type of plate. I am concerned about the thickness of the plate, because i want to keep the mantel as flush as possible to the ledgestone. Yes, i have read that some people have routed or chiseled out the mantel to achieve this.

So what should i get for a plate. I would need to be about 4 feet long. Should i get a piece of flat steel or should i get a piece of or or maple . I was thinking 2inch width and half inch thickness.

If i went with with wood could i wood screw the cleat to it or bolt it.

the mantel weighs about 33 lbs.

thx
If you can hit good wood behind the stone, a newel bolt x2 would be perfect for what you need to do..
It's actually a stair/railing part, but it'd work like a charm in your situation.... Cost ya about 12 bucks apiece..

You can use a wood cleat. Google - french cleat mantel hanger and you will get some video examples.

i have the metal french cleat attached to the barn beam. but when i attach it to the ledgestone, its just too uneven. when i try to make it flush with spacers and washers, it wants to twist. i am looking to but the cleat onto a plate and mount the plate thru the ledgestone.

If you know where the studs are and you can drill through the rock, how about using 3/8 or 1/2 " x 10" lag bolts and cutting off the heads after you have them screwed into the wood. Then drill corresponding holes in the back of the mantle to whatever depth you need. Put some epoxy in the holes in the mantle and slide the mantle onto the lag bolts. Hold it in place and let the epoxy set up.

X2 on the lag bolts, I did exactly that except I used construction adhesive opposed to epoxy. Didn’t want it setting up too fast