Happy Thanksgiving!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
I hope everyone has a great day today, and safe travels for those of you making a road trip.

As for me and my family, we are enjoying the heat from our Fisher Mama Bear on this cold day. 2 degrees with a wind chill of minus 10.

IMG_20181016_061349766.jpg

This bird is lounging around the stove that keeps this place more than warm too.

IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0206.JPG

Reactions: Todd67
Coaly, that bird looks "Kitchen Queen" delicious! And I love your locomotive steamer, very nice!

Wow, over 130 views on this topic and only one other member replied. I was hoping to start a good Fisher-friendly discussion, and share some pictures of our Fisher stoves that we use to keep us warm.

Oh well, it was minus 9 here this morning, with a minus 27 wind chill. Too cold for this time of year.

Just go ours going for the year! I need to get a replacement round foot, is that part available somewhere?

Thanks and cheers

Attachments

• 94318C24-0CC4-4F05-9FB7-BB68F379D414.jpeg
    94318C24-0CC4-4F05-9FB7-BB68F379D414.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Georgerin, someone on this forum might have some ball feet laying around that they would sell. There also might be some available on eBay. It might help if start a new thread in the Fisher Stoves main forum, asking for the ball feet. Nice looking Mama Bear stove in your avatar! How long have you owned it?

By the way, welcome to the forum Georgerin!

By the way, welcome to the forum Georgerin!
Many thanks. We purchased a home about 3 yrs ago and it was already in place in the basement. Last year had it cleaned and wife finally agreed to let me start using it today. So I’m here for all the great knowledge as I have little to no experience. Saw your friendly post and jumped in! Need more seasoned wood before going too crazy.

Does your stove have a baffle plate in it? It helps to burn more efficient, and burn less wood. This forum has more info than any single person could ever digest. Well... everyone besides a member named "coaly" >>

I put my baffle plate in after I installed my Mama Bear,vused 5/16" plate steel.

Does your stove have a door gasket? Mine had a rope gasket when I bought it and I removed it when I restored my stove. I'm glad the gasket didn't ruin the air tight seal that our stoves we're designed to have without a gasket.

yes it had one. After reading through some posts, i see it is designed as gasket free. After tonight’s burn I am going to remove it. I did see some folks had to adjust doors after removing gasket, but not sure if I would have to do anything like that. (Hope not)....I was glad to find the manual and confirm it was designed not be used with a damper so I made sure to leave that wide open on the pipe

Wow, over 130 views on this topic and only one other member replied. I was hoping to start a good Fisher-friendly discussion, and share some pictures of our Fisher stoves that we use to keep us warm.

Oh well, it was minus 9 here this morning, with a minus 27 wind chill. Too cold for this time of year.
I did not reply, because we had lobster at TG and no turkey.

I did not reply, because we had lobster at TG and no turkey.

Lol, there's nothing wrong with eating Lobster instead of turkey. In fact, lobster tastes much better than turkey.

yes it had one. After reading through some posts, i see it is designed as gasket free. After tonight’s burn I am going to remove it. I did see some folks had to adjust doors after removing gasket, but not sure if I would have to do anything like that. (Hope not)....I was glad to find the manual and confirm it was designed not be used with a damper so I made sure to leave that wide open on the pipe

I chose to not install a damper in my stove pipe. But I was new to wood stoves when I installed my Mama Bear and I figured I could install one later down the road if I wanted to. To be honest about it, I wasn't sure how to properly use a damper and wanted to do more research on using them and where to install it. But 6 years later and we've never needed a damper.

Reactions: Georgerin

A flue damper is a chimney control, nothing to do with stove make, model or brand. All stoves have a required amount of air needed to move through the firebox. As the damper is closed, it becomes a variable resistance to slow velocity of rising gasses, affecting the stove. Manuals for double door stoves made for fire viewing with screen in place require dampers since when in Fireplace Mode with doors open, this becomes your only air control.
A flue damper is a good idea on any stove, since if you have a problem loading and can't close the door immediately, closing the damper partially slows the fire. Consider it an emergency brake if over fired or if anything happens to get out of control.

@CamFan on this site probably still has a few ball feet. They are missing the set screw to hold them in position, but that is available.
Sets of them show up on eBay from time to time demanding top dollar, well over $100 a set.

A flue damper is a chimney control, nothing to do with stove make, model or brand. All stoves have a required amount of air needed to move through the firebox. As the damper is closed, it becomes a variable resistance to slow velocity of rising gasses, affecting the stove. Manuals for double door stoves made for fire viewing with screen in place require dampers since when in Fireplace Mode with doors open, this becomes your only air control.
A flue damper is a good idea on any stove, since if you have a problem loading and can't close the door immediately, closing the damper partially slows the fire. Consider it an emergency brake if over fired or if anything happens to get out of control.

@CamFan on this site probably still has a few ball feet. They are missing the set screw to hold them in position, but that is available.
Sets of them show up on eBay from time to time demanding top dollar, well over $100 a set.

I’ll sell mine for 10.00 each. Coaly please email me your address so I can send the box I have for you. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll sell mine for 10.00 each. Coaly please email me your address so I can send the box I have for you. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey @CamFan thabks for replying. I do apologize I’m not the handiest person. The set screw, could I just take the ball down to Lowe’s /Home Depot and they will have one or is there somewhere particular?

Thanks again @coaly , I did see a set of 4 for $65 on eBay w/screws but I just need one!

Just looking at the set screw hole on my Mama Bear ball feet, they look like a common size set screw that several hardware stores would carry.

If you want to let me know how much that would be. Shipping to Kentucky and if I can pay you via PayPal

Send CamFan a private message with your address so he can give you a shipping quote, if he doesn't reply here.