Harbor Freight Electric Splitter ITEM 93815-0VGA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93815
I bought this splitter over the weekend. My wood guy delivered some big pieces that I had to resplit with my maul over the summer. Sometimes they would be hard to balance and hit with the maul. Some were twisted and I couldn't split them. Anyway, I couldn't find the Ryobi, so I thought I would check out the Harbor Freight store. I got this 4 ton unit for $240 at the store. I just split a few big and gnarly pieces (of what, I haven't the faintest, but it is hardwood - stringy - oak?) that I could pick out from top of the pile and it went though them just fine. The way I feel now is that for the price, it wouldn't be a waste even if I get something bigger in the future at some point. The wood can be split easily in the garage in winter when those big logs come up. I could easily make some kindling if I want to. Perhaps in summer it will do those logs that don't easily split with the maul (hopefully). I look it, now, as an adjunct to my maul and/or a future bigger unit.

Also, using the handy-dandy Kill-a-Watt do-hickey, I noted 17 amps on intitial power up and could get a max of 11 amps when splitting (never stalling the unit). The motor nameplate says 10 amps. I have a 20 amp breaker on that circuit.

PS: I was severely tempted by this 30 ton, 9-hp Robin powered unit for a thousand bucks:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91840

Attachments

• splitter.JPG
    splitter.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,012
Looks good!

I had seen that gas one on Harbor Freight as well and I have to say if I had a grand to dump on a splitter that would probably be the one. Maybe its just a good picture but that thing looks like a beast for that price.

Whats the deal with Robin engines? My brother in law is a mechanic and I remember him mentioning a particular make of small engine that is really durable that I had never heard of. I'm thinking it was the Robin? I've suddenly been seeing them a lot but maybe its just from looking at splitters a lot lately.

I've seen them on generators. I have no idea how they are. I don't think the 9 hp is underpowered for 30 Ton, is it?

Hey wait a sec! I just bought a tiny electric splitter. I don't NEED a 30 Ton gas unit..... do I? :)

Thanks Don. Sorry no movie, sound, effects, or anything! I don't even have a big round chunk of wood to put in there! I will be cutting up my poor big dead hemlock that the farmer down the road felled for me last weekend though. I'm not sure green hemlock will be a test though.

I like the fact it can go in a corner of the garage or the trunk of my car. Who knows how long it will last.

Don, I will say that your video made me think seriously of this option. I think elk's suggestion of using a backer piece to effectively shorten up the stroke is also a good idea to get through the piece. I think I could put that unit vertically on a hand truck I have to roll it out to the pile next summer.

Harbor Freight puts things on sale all the time. Not gonna hurt your feelings by telling you what that was on sale for at our local HF a couple weeks ago. But If I am thinking of buying anything pricey at HF I always wait till the sale.

I've discovered that my electric unit does not work all that well on large diameter (~30" at base) moist hemlock. Then again neither does my maul. Nibbling at the edges especially with branches didn't seem to do all that much. Maybe if it drys out it would split better. Or, I could just purchase some new machinery. :)

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that HF gas unit above.

Update: I've split most all of the above tree on this little machine. Key is first splitting the large round (quite large round), with maul and/or wedges, so I could carry them anyway to the wheelbarrow. I put them into the garage for 'processing which I can do at my leisure even when raining or dark outside.

I used it this weekend in the garage to split up some kindling size wood.
This is a good application for it, as I thought it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.