New electric splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Received a 5 ton electric splitter from Harbor Freight as a gift two weeks ago. Fired it up on Sunday on some real stringy wet tulip poplar that started out about 34 inches in diameter. I had to quarter it with the sledge, wedges, and maul just to get it to the point that I could lift the quarters, and every single piece fought me. Water seeped out when I set the wedge. The 8 pound maul just bounced off, and they laughed at the fiskars.

The electric splitter worked great on that stringy wood, and It cut right through knots. It was $225 ($300 with a 25% off coupon). Light enough that I can lift it and carry it around, and fits easily in a small spot in the garage. I put it on a table top that I set on four of the splits as legs. The pusher stops a little too far away from the wedge with the stringy wood, but a block of wood in front of the pusher solves that, even if it makes things less safe.

I'm going to see if the generator will run the electric motor. If that works, I'll put them both on the trailer and take it to the wood instead of bringing the wood to the house.

I cannot believe how well this tiny splitter works, and it appears to be pretty durable based on the 6 hours that I have used it so far on some very tough wood. I think that if I'd let the tulip poplar rounds dry more, it would not have been nearly so stringy and tough, but I wanted to get it out of the front yard and drying efficiently.

I have a Homelite 5-ton. I also have mine up about waist high for convenience. Over winter, I put it in a corner of my garage so I can keep splitting when I have to make stuff smaller or make kindling.

They do take every bit of 20 amps at startup and will stall or throw a breaker if you lug it down too much, so be sure to get it into a very good circuit, preferably close to the distribution box. I have used an extension cord, but be sure it's 12 gauge or better and not too long.

I've never had trouble with mine and it will surprise you what it can handle, assuming it's anything like the Homelite/Ryobi model.

Used mine off the generator in the woods. Worked fine if plugged in with no cord. But nothing beats a 22 ton gas unit.

20160330_221253.jpg

I keep mine in the den for fine tuning splits.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Not sure what size of genny you have to work with, but make sure that you are not dealing with a low voltage startup for that splitter. You don't want to go cooking the startup caps for that unit.

Not sure what size of genny you have to work with, but make sure that you are not dealing with a low voltage startup for that splitter. You don't want to go cooking the startup caps for that unit.
Could you be more specific, please? I don't know what "cooking the startup caps" means, nor what a "low voltage startup" would be. Thanks Jags.

What kind of generator will you be using? Motors like this require a lot of startup current, much more than when it's running. It will also draw more power if lugged down. If the power source is not adequate for the motor to come up to speed and deal with high loads, it can cause damage, or trip safety devices. Even at home, it will need a good, strong circuit. Most users get along fine, but you do have to be aware of potential problems, and that's why the concern about the generator. If the gen is capable enough, it should be fine.

I have had my little electric pop 20A fuses. At 115V that means it consumed more that 2300 watts. Something to consider if you are gonna use a smaller genny (say a 2500W). The couple of these splitters that I have got up close and personal with (mine included) use start capacitors for the motor. If you pull real hard on the genny to the point that voltage drops you can cause the capacitors to work extra hard to get the motor spinning. This is bad for them.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Ran another cord thru my 5 HF ton unit last night Easily popped up to 10" cherry I cut last week. Toward the end of the load my ram started pulsating/surging Wasn't smooth when pushing forward to make the split???? Is this a sign of low oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.