Hardly any posts on Scan Woodstoves..?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingtundra

Sep 5, 2008
North of Canada
Hello all,

First post here, and I wanted to thank all everybody for the valuable information i've garnered while lurking.

I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Scan 5-2 (mostly cause my wife really wanted it...she's european). I've been searching the net for reviews and/or discussion on these stoves, and have come up almost completely empty---rarely has google let me down like this.

The stove was shipped via freight, and showed up with a broken baffle, and a slight blemish on the front where it looks like some of the black got rubbed off during shipping. The material that the baffles and firebox are made out of (looks like particle board) is really really delicate. You can stick your fingernail into it, and it just sort of flakes apart. Anybody with one of these have any experience with breakage/ect? It obviously shouldn't be shipped with the baffles in place, as the one broke out where it is pegged into the side wall.

The other question...do you really have to keep track of a detatched handle? I figured you were somehow supposed to attach the included handle, but I sure don't see a way to.

I hope this almost $4000 wood stove wasn't a big mistake!

Thanks for any comments!
Mike.

Scan is a specialty stove.....low production numbers, so you won't see as much scuttlebutt.

BUT, I have seen them burning at trade shows and I was strongly considering one for my own house - but it turned out to be too large (in heat output) for the area.

We did have some posts a year ago about shipping damage with one.....so I guess they could certainly do some better packing.

Detached handles are often required by the ULC and UL codes, because the handle would get too hot if attached to the stove....my guess is that is what is the case.

As to the soft baffles, this should be ok for the top baffle, but I don't personally have any experience with side firebricks being made out of very soft material - maybe someone else can give some experience on that.

smokingtundra said:
Hello all,

First post here, and I wanted to thank all everybody for the valuable information i've garnered while lurking.

I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Scan 5-2 (mostly cause my wife really wanted it...she's european). I've been searching the net for reviews and/or discussion on these stoves, and have come up almost completely empty---rarely has google let me down like this.

The stove was shipped via freight, and showed up with a broken baffle, and a slight blemish on the front where it looks like some of the black got rubbed off during shipping. The material that the baffles and firebox are made out of (looks like particle board) is really really delicate. You can stick your fingernail into it, and it just sort of flakes apart. Anybody with one of these have any experience with breakage/ect? It obviously shouldn't be shipped with the baffles in place, as the one broke out where it is pegged into the side wall.

The other question...do you really have to keep track of a detatched handle? I figured you were somehow supposed to attach the included handle, but I sure don't see a way to.

I hope this almost $4000 wood stove wasn't a big mistake!

Thanks for any comments!
Mike.

My wife is European as well.... Hence the stove I got....

I looked long and hard at the Scan's.... Particularly the 60. I think they make some great looking stoves with North American size fireboxes. They do some in cast iron, and some in rolled steel, so they have a pretty versatile line of stoves.

The firebrick is something that isn't warrantied by these stoves, so if it was damaged during shipping, get it resolved NOW. I think that Scan calls theirs Skamol or something to that effect.... Morsoe uses a similar firebrick, very delicate. I think they are able to get better effeciencies out of these bricks not sure though.

Yeah, and welcome to the club regarding the handle as well.... Kind of odd. We'll see how it works this Winter.

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I hear the Scans do crank out the heat. My place is pretty small too, but thats what she wanted. It does look pretty nice, though. The dealer is sending us a new baffle, and I guess I'll have to try and touch up the paint that got rubbed off on the door. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with a plain sheet metal pad or make something a little nicer out of tile (only ember protection needed). Also trying to get the stove as close to the corner of the room as i can for space considerations. Funny though, the manual says 6" from the back corners of the stove to the combustable walls, but the sticker on the back of the stove says 4" minimum (painted drywall). I'll probably go with the 6 to be on the safe side.

Take care,
Mike.

Good luck with the new stove...the idea of a detached handle... meh!

Status
Not open for further replies.