Hardwood or Softwood Pellets? What's better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm burning Barefoots right now. Before Barefoots I was burning Firesides. I'm going to stick with Barefoots from now on. They seem to burn the hottest for me.

jezbo33 said:
Any thoughts or experiences with Natures Own or Lignetics?

Started using Lignetics last week $200.00/ton Seem to burn hot enough and not too much ash Only complaint is the flimsy bag they come in, easy to puncture and put your fingers through when carrying them ( or so my wife tells me)

Pellet-ier said:
You're the man, ootski! I'll take my hat off to any man that can get his wife to carry in the pellets!

lol....my lady carries in the pellets when we put the in the basement.....but I end up stopping her...after awhile....she aint that much bigger than the bag of pellets lol....but she helps alot...

Sawsalesman said:
New pellet stove owner and I'm wondering which pellet is better. Hardwood or Softwood. Are there pros and cons to both?

Until you get used to the stove and what it will and won't like or do for you its best to stick with the good stuff marked a Premium. I like to buy a few bags say 10 or so of something then see how they act. Some stoves are picky while some burn anything. From what I have seen its pretty much a matter of ash left over. Beyond that there usually isn't much difference in the end. You can drive yourself crazy with thermometers, output calculations and a whole host of measurements or just see what looks and works nice and enjoy it. Personally I buy whatever is the cheapest when I can get it and stock up though like I said my stove burns anything. Same with cleaning. Mine has a large ash pan for burning corn so I can let her rip for 2 weeks just shoving it daily through the floor traps while stoves without pans will need a lot more cleaning. Just remember that when the flame starts getting orange and lazy its time to CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and you will solve 90 percent of your stove problems. Take a good look in your manual for how to clean out the areas where ash may build up in back of the area behind the phoney fire brick wall or whatever is in the back. Some get nasty back there and don't draft well. Nothing to cleaning it once you know where to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.