Harman 25th anniversary sparks entering living space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

metalman570

Jan 12, 2021
Jamestown, NY
I have an older Harman 25th anniversary pellet stove (ser. no. 8143). Lately I have noticed, periodically, sparks coming out of the stove via the decorative oak leaf vent area above the door. Upon visual inspection and performing the "dollar" test there appears to be no breach of the door seal. I'm assuming the sparks are escaping from the burn chamber. Anyone have this problem?

Could you post a video?
Thank you for responding Washed-Up, I'm sorry that I cannot show a video at this time as we shut the stove down as soon as we saw the last sparks. I can tell you that they were small and shot out into our living room a maximum of app. 2ft. and quickly burned out. At least the ones we witnessed. The last two came out only seconds apart. We're waiting for a return call from a technician and if they want us to fire it up I will attempt to capture it then. Its been a great stove other than that. Thanks again for your response. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Washed-Up
That’s very odd, if the rope gasket is good, then the metal on the door might be compromised, haven’t run into this before and am very interested to find the reason.
Tom

Is this a XXV Anniversary edition stove ?

Is this a XXV Anniversary edition stove ?
Hi Tom, Yes. XXV anniversary. Serial number 8143. Manufacture date Sept. 2006. Service guy called this morning and will be coming to look at it next week. He is also very interested in the situation. I will let you know what they find. I would also add that, beginning late last heating season we began to experience very dark ash. The accordion heat exchanger actually gummed up with creosote so I let it burn hotter than usual to burn it off. I don't know if the two situations are related. We have a CO detector in the room with the stove, no detection. Thanks again for your interest.
Eric

Hi Tom, Yes. XXV anniversary. Serial number 8143. Manufacture date Sept. 2006. Service guy called this morning and will be coming to look at it next week. He is also very interested in the situation. I will let you know what they find. I would also add that, beginning late last heating season we began to experience very dark ash. The accordion heat exchanger actually gummed up with creosote so I let it burn hotter than usual to burn it off. I don't know if the two situations are related. We have a CO detector in the room with the stove, no detection. Thanks again for your interest.
Eric
Sorry gfreek, did not notice the last message was from you. I appreciate your interest and help also. Talk to both of you next week.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Any update on this ??

Reactions: Ssyko
Just talked to service guy at local Harman dealer. Coming next Thursday. After talking to Harman Hq. he suggested that the tip of the auger, which is the original, could have worn through the feed tube possibly allowing embers from that area to enter room air chamber. Please see attached pic. The distance from the end of the auger tip is app. 3/8" from what appears to be a slit or gash in the feed tube just before the burn pot. It appears to me that there is not a way that that could have happened. The auger does not appear to be damaged. Where did the slit come from, if that is what it is, and is it the cause? Don't know.
Your thoughts?
Pellet stove.jpg

Yup, ware and burn thru. I had that on the PC45 I bought. Took it all apart and welded it shut. You might want to also add a new auger, they look ok but usually aren't. There is a thread on here about this. Search PC 45

Yup, ware and burn thru. I had that on the PC45 I bought. Took it all apart and welded it shut. You might want to also add a new auger, they look ok but usually aren't. There is a thread on here about this. Search PC 45
Thanks for your response. I will definitely look that up. I've been looking for a reason to pick up a MIG welder.

You definitely need a new auger you are missing the last 3/4" of it. That is the risk of running the stove with a worn back auger. It lets the fire burn back to far during shut down and destroys the feeder tube over time. Feeder needs replaced or welded up

You definitely need a new auger you are missing the last 3/4" of it. That is the risk of running the stove with a worn back auger. It lets the fire burn back to far during shut down and destroys the feeder tube over time. Feeder needs replaced or welded up
Good call never noticed that !!!

Have you ever taken a feeder out? I'm fairly handy and dont mind tackling it.
Removing the feeder weldment can be quite the job. Probably an off season job. I’ve done it on my older Invincible.

That picture is the same thing that happen to my Harman XXV, there were a certain number of them made with a change to the burn pot that caused this. If you have vent holes near the bottom of the burn pot that is what caused the issue.
XXV burn pot.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment Swalz. There are, in fact, vent holes at the bottom. Same burnpot in our Accentra insert of similar vintage. I have a service guy coming Thursday to look at it. Not expecting anything to come of it but its nice to think that it would be covered under warranty. I'm also going to have him take a look at the herd of wild unicorns living in my backyard...

Sorry to hear about the unicorns, but good to see you figured out the issue, they’ll most likely change the burn pot out.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the unicorns, but good to see you figured out the issue, they’ll most likely change the burn pot out.
Yes you have to replace the burnpot

Well, Randy the service guy was just here. He did not say definitively that it was the slit in the feeder weldment but not seeing any other area where sparks could possibly escape the burn chamber that it was more likely than not the cause. Considering the replacement/repair of the weldment, new auger, new burnpot and whatever else might be found, plus labor we decided to purchase another XXV.
My question now is what to do with the old stove? Any suggestions?
A word about the Harman dealership we dealt with. Worth W. Smith out of Bradford, PA. Very good organisation. Randy and his assistant were very knowledgeable, professional and courteous.
Thank you to all who took the time to respond to this question. I appreciate your knowledge and experience.
I look forward to picking your brain should the need arise again.