Harman 52i fuse popping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

N_Blueth

Jan 19, 2014
Virginia
My 52i keeps popping fuses. After sitting all summer long I usually fire the stove up in early October to make sure it's working right before the real cold weather comes. The unit is three years old and each year I've had to replace the igniter to solve the fuse popping problem. I just tried it now and it popped again. I have the unit professionally cleaned every year. What could be the issue?

Appreciate any ideas to what is going on.

Pull the unit & check the wiring underneath & behind.
You may have a pinched sheathing compromised wire that is shorting to the frame.
May have happened during the service call for cleaning....

Do u get the ignitor changed and that fixes the issue?? Sounds like you have a wire or connector being close to a ground and shorting something out. The ignitor can be checked electrically- power off, take a resistance check of the ignitor, normal ohmmage is around 35-40 ohms. Infinity is an open element. I'd get someone to check the wiring harness for a break in the insulation on the wires, etc. Good luck with it.

Are you using the correct fuse?

Yes, new igniter seems to solve the problem. No earthly idea why.

Yes I use the delayed pop 6a fuse.

The fan runs way too long too. Based on some the posts I’m reading where both these problems are present, sounds like a possible control board problem.

what jackman said..
have a freestanding harman so don't know much about inserts but usually is a 6amp.
[some use a 5amp so as to blow before maybe doing any damage to the board.
are you pulling the ignitor wires far enough from the back of the unit so as to not have lot of slack in the compartment?
i remember getting a shock one time cleaning out around the ignitor...had a bare spot on one of the wires there and blew the fuse & ignitor
as my finger prob pushed the wire against the metal side wall during cleanout.
the white sheathing around one of the wires had worn away.......i blame cheap ignitor or my stubby fingers rubbing against the wire while cleaning inside there.. I now check with a flashlight periodically to make sure wires are a bit taunt towards the rear entry area.. but, I digress.
if professionally cleaned, what does your tech say about this problem?

Last edited:
When the stove is pulled for service it is easy to pinch those wires on the left side when pushing it back in I would check there first if your looking for short in wires