Harman 52i owners only (I think)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackhammer,
I was in your shoes last fall so don't sweat it. It will take some time but you will figure out what works best and when for your set up. The 61, 68 and older PC 45 will eat some pellets vs. smaller BTU stoves as mentioned. The older 45 is the same size and platform as the 61. Best thing I can recommend is setting it to 3.5 feed rate and room temp auto and the temp dial where you want it. Don't let the igniter hype worry you at all. IMHO that is ridiculous.

Get used to how it operates and then you can fine tune stuff. FYI I just switched from room temp auto to room temp manual this morning. I have my feed rate at 1 and set to 4.5 on the temp dial. This set up I always have a flame and the inside temp stays right where I want it for now. This is what works best for me now but the knob twisting can get goofy and confusing. I set it here so my distribution blower runs all the time which I like.

There is a lot of confusion on this and I am trying to figure out why. Read my post above. Is your stove a new one? There might be a difference in older and newer stoves is my guess. These guys know their stuff well but as you can see Cory and myself are operating differently. I am assuming it is a difference in the years the stoves were made. Not sure but the only plausible explanation I can come up with.

I would not try to compare your new stove to even a 20 year old Harman let alone another make.

My stove is new. I know the Harman is bigger and better so it will burn more pellets. The high consumption issue was overnight in room temp mode, temp on 55 or so, manual igniter, feed rate of 4. Burned half a bag and I don't think the stove had to fire up at all, it wasn't that cold and the house was in the 60's when I got up. Logic tells me if I turn the feed rate down, I will burn less pellets, and during this shoulder season, it sounds like a good idea to me. When it gets cold, I'll go to a feed rate of 4. By the way, my temp probe was taped to the back of the stove by the installer, who came highly recommended with lots of Harman experience. This seems to be another point of contention! But like you said Bags, I'm not stressing! It'll all work out.

I think I may need to move my probe higher .. Insert is downstairs in finished basement. Probe is sitting low where it's cold.

My installers have the frame tight to my fireplace and the probe is being pinched(there coming back)

Is the probe suppose to free mounting or are you not able to move it when positioned?

You should have some length of the cable to locate your probe higher or away from the floor. My room temp probe is about 6 feet long and they usually come coiled up and zip tied to the lower rear of the stove. I moved mine up about 4 1/2 - 5 feet high and away from the stove. Mine works very well there but this can vary by each install.

If they are left down on or near a cold surface you will not get good results normally.

my 52i came with an extension wire for the temp probe and after moving it around I came up with a good spot and so far has worked very well, im prob going to go with a skytec for the 68 down stairs

I don't want to high jack my own thread.. I'll start a new one for the prob :) with a pic

Status
Not open for further replies.