Harman a week old...ash and burn rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jothen2002

Oct 12, 2022
Bennington Vermont
Hello, Just got my P series Harman installed. I'm trying to make sure I have my understanding correctly about ash rate burning etc.
I set my thermostat at 70 ° in the morning to warm up the house,then I switch it to constant burn and keep the house around 70(per the thermostat in the living room)
This is what I my ash looks like after 3hours of constant burn set on 2.
I've heard that constant burn is most efficient.
20221012_111743.jpg

20221012_111743.jpg

Not showing much since the stove isn’t actually burning. Ash looks ok, but who told you that constant burning is more efficient? Set on Room Temp (t-stat) mode your stove will not burn unless it needs to satisfy the room sensor. Stove temp will continue to burn no matter what temperature the house is at & therefore burn MORE fuel. How can that be more efficient? You set set your feed rate to between 3 & 4, leave on the t-stat & forget about it. I burned a P61 for 12 years, & NEVER switched to stove temp, unless the outside temps got below 20 degrees F, which only happened at the end of January/ beginning of February…

What Dansky said, a picture of a non functioning stove ash means nothing, and a t-stat is way more efficient!!

Not showing much since the stove isn’t actually burning. Ash looks ok, but who told you that constant burning is more efficient? Set on Room Temp (t-stat) mode your stove will not burn unless it needs to satisfy the room sensor. Stove temp will continue to burn no matter what temperature the house is at & therefore burn MORE fuel. How can that be more efficient? You set set your feed rate to between 3 & 4, leave on the t-stat & forget about it. I burned a P61 for 12 years, & NEVER switched to stove temp, unless the outside temps got below 20 degrees F, which only happened at the end of January/ beginning of February…
Thanks for your reply

I hope this is a better picture for what I was asking... It is not that cold out yet and I seem to be getting about only 12-15hrs of burn time (set at72 set feed on 4)from what I thought were high quality pellets (hardwood).
I obviously didn't install or set it up, but just wanted to make sure it's running efficiently and effectively...
Thanks 👍

20221020_081310.jpg

Thanks for your reply

I hope this is a better picture for what I was asking... It is not that cold out yet and I seem to be getting about only 12-15hrs of burn time (set at72 set feed on 4)from what I thought were high quality pellets (hardwood).
I obviously didn't install or set it up, but just wanted to make sure it's running efficiently and effectively...
Thanks 👍

View attachment 300961
Are you only getting 12 to 15 hours from a full hopper of pellets? I'd expect a livelier look flame but a still picture can be deceiving. How about a video? By the way with pellets, softwoods are the better choice if available at a reasonable price. They provide more heat per pound and less ash to dispose of.

Lazy flame due to door being open. Also, your unit should have came with 3 firebricks that go vertical in that back slot. I’m only seeing one, horizontal, which is wrong

I have an absolute 43, and it looks about the same as yours after 3 hours,

Switch to thermostat, constant burn is not more economical as others have said above.

Look at this youtube video, the gentleman tested out 6 brands of pellets in his P series with burn pot photos of each 24 hour burn.

Lazy flame due to door being open. Also, your unit should have came with 3 firebricks that go vertical in that back slot. I’m only seeing one, horizontal, which is wrong
Depends on model of stove. Our P43 only has one horizontal brick.

sam

sam
That looks exactly like my P 43 which has only one brick.

sam
That looks exactly like my P 43 which has only one brick.
Mine too. The P61a OTOH, has 3 bricks vertical.

I keep my P43 on room temp / auto, and run it off a thermostat that is installed in a room 1/2 way down the house from the stove (stove is at one end of 40' long structure). I keep the stat set at 69*. It does not start using a bag a day until it is colder. There are usually a few weeks in Jan-Feb that I do set it on a constant burn.

The amount of ash you show is typical for a mid-range pellet. Are your "hardwoods" from TSC by chance? If so, those are actually a HW blend (despite what the bag says). Those are my go-to value pellet (more ash and less heat than super premiums, but for the price difference, a better deal).