Harman Absolute 63 Soot Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That fire has a lazy flame . Needs more air !

Ok my BAD

If you have black soot flame has to be weak.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Having same problem. Glowing black soot and black soot everywhere even under ash pan. Wondering if increasing combustion blower helped?
Thanks

Have you tried cleaning the burnpot holes?

Full clean. Have had this problem since install. I feel like the combustion settings is the issue. Curious if that was the problem and if he found a solution?

OAK flapper open? See if it disappears when forced open. I had similar problem when my chimney was blocked by screen I use in Spring to keep birds out. Filled up with soot an stove did that. Forcing open flap helped, (Removing Screen fixed it). I used Magnet. If you don't have OAK you still have the air intake for it.

I do not have an OAK. Might be installing one over the break as I have been reading good things about them. My dealer said it was not necessary.... The flapper is about half way open when the unit is running. I can try putting a magnet to keep it open, don't you want it to flap open and close though?
I still believe the combustion settings is the answer, but I can't find anyone talking about it. This was the only thread I have found it mentioned.

I assume you have cleaned out under the burn pot where the igniter is? Also a full cleaning behind what ever removable panels are inside the stove and the combustion fan area? That is one Harman that I have not serviced yet. Is the combustion fan cover back in place securely?

I had a Harman Accentra 52i tc yesterday with the sooting issue and this was the problem . Before and after pics

C8776FDE-B30E-4674-B6CD-50153DAACC23.jpeg 833A2429-A9C8-4650-B8C0-5AB67099E14D.jpeg

I've had black soot from day 1. Thought it was because of low burns since outside temp was in the 50s. Read many threads that mentioned low burns can cause soot. But now that temp is dropping and the unit is pumping out heat, I thought the soot would go away. That is why I feel like the settings aren't right with the combustion blower and this thread mentioned it.
I do basically a full cleaning every Saturday. Just to keep up with the soot and I want this to last many years as this our main heat source now. The back of the unit is perfectly clean. This past Saturday I checked on the fines box, it wasn't bad. Vacuumed any dust that was back there (which was basically nothing).
Can try the magnet but don't think that is the problem. I did bump up the combustion blower settings two settings higher for the min & max. I didn't want to do a lot and wanted to slowly bump up to the settings mentioned in this thread.

I had a lot of build up in the burn pot. This past Saturday was the first time I cleaned in that area. Looked like yours in the pic.

I had a lot of build up in the burn pot. This past Saturday was the first time I cleaned in that area. Looked like yours in the pic.
Is the cover on the comb fan behind the ash pan seated fully? May have got knocked loose during shipping?

Put a magnet on the OAK last night. See if it helps. I cleaned the glass last night (took a pic), and will see what it looks like when I get home to compare.

Plan is to do a full clean this weekend. Take a look at the fans in the back to see if anything got knocked loose during shipping. Will see how it burns for a few days and report back.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Reactions: Washed-Up
If opening up the OAK helps look for the real problem other places. It's not breathing right. Mine was Chimney. OAK only pointed me to the problem. Got help here. I figured mesh cloth would not be problem, but it sooted up.