Harman Absolute not shutting down, causing pellet fire in ash bin.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sounds like you need a new motherboard, the “flicker” of power most likely was a power surge unfortunately

Sorry to hear you're having a similar issue. Surprisingly, the issue resolved itself and I have no idea why. Perhaps since we've been running it nonstop for the last 4 months it worked through whatever was causing it. It was the worst in the Fall after having been idle all summer, then slowly got better and now I haven't seen it fail to shut down or hold temperature for about 2 months. We have had power outages and flickers maybe 20 or 30 times since we bought it 4 years ago, very common in our area.

Sorry to hear you're having a similar issue. Surprisingly, the issue resolved itself and I have no idea why. Perhaps since we've been running it nonstop for the last 4 months it worked through whatever was causing it. It was the worst in the Fall after having been idle all summer, then slowly got better and now I haven't seen it fail to shut down or hold temperature for about 2 months. We have had power outages and flickers maybe 20 or 30 times since we bought it 4 years ago, very common in our area.
So, similar to your story, ours is now working fine. We did the firmware update, but we still had to open the hopper to have it shut down that evening before bed. It was then warmer out, so we didn't use it for 24-48 hours. Turned it back on and it is working perfectly....so strange.

You only see the issue when it's warmer out because it runs at 6% continually. During cold weather, that's likely not enough to surpass the set point whereas when it's warmer 6% will heat you out of the room. A real shame that Harman can't address what would seem to be a simple issue. Another person complaining about this today:

1648068660685.png

You only see the issue when it's warmer out because it runs at 6% continually. During cold weather, that's likely not enough to surpass the set point whereas when it's warmer 6% will heat you out of the room. A real shame that Harman can't address what would seem to be a simple issue. Another person complaining about this today:

View attachment 293958
I'm not sure if you were responding to me or not, but you are incorrect. In the three years we've owned this stove it had never had an issue turning off no matter if it's warmer or colder outside. It had always started shutting down once it reached temperature (and it's within 2 degrees when completely shut down). It also never "heats us out of the room" when it is running. We use it to exclusively heat our 2 story home with no issues until just now, which is now corrected.

I'm not sure if you were responding to me or not, but you are incorrect. In the three years we've owned this stove it had never had an issue turning off no matter if it's warmer or colder outside. It had always started shutting down once it reached temperature (and it's within 2 degrees when completely shut down). It also never "heats us out of the room" when it is running. We use it to exclusively heat our 2 story home with no issues until just now, which is now corrected.
I had this stove for 2 years before this issue started happening so it starting to happen randomly fits the pattern (for me and 15 or so other people complaining about the same issue). It hasn't heated you out of the room yet because you haven't had this issue in the shoulder season. Running at 6% is fine when it's like 40-45 but if it gets warmer it will quickly heat you out of the room. Maybe you don't have the same issue as the rest of us and it's a freak outage, but it's probably the same issue which means it comes and goes. Keep us updated.

My stove started doing this last year and is still doing it despite updating FW to latest version. This is definitely a glitch and not a cleaning issue as mine was recently cleaned. I have to operating icons to show at the bottom of the screen and when it occurs, the feed rate is set at 10% when the failure occurs. If the feed rate goes to zero it operates properly. My stove may run fine for 4-5 days and then it will randomly fail to shut down for a few days, then operate normally for a few days. Harmon has been no help. Their only answer is to call your dealer. This is not help as the failure in not always repeatable. The software sets the feed rate based on the difference between the set temp and the actual temp. It is not setting the feed rate to zero after the set temp plus a degree or two is reached. Currently room temp is 72 and set temp is 50.

Update to above post: I located and installed the 2/14/23 update which appears to have corrected this issue as well as providing a much more even heat and burn.

Reactions: Washed-Up