Harman Absolute43 burning in Ash Pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tweakes182

Jan 19, 2017
CA
Hi all!

Bought a house this summer that had a Harman P43 installed already. When it wasn't too cold, it burned just fine and I had no issues with it.

Recently (as in the past 2 weeks) the stove has been having issues. The feed limit is set to 25%, but it continuously pushes the pellets out of the burn pot and into the ash pan, so the combustion of the pellets occurs in the ash pan. I have tried cleaning it, resetting all the factory defaults, etc. But it still continues to burn in the ash pan. The only way it wont is to leave it in "Test Mode" and manually advance the pellets by myself using the test features. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this stove is our primary heat source for what is looking to be a cold winter. I am used to wood burning stoves and fireplace inserts, so this is all quite new (and majorly annoying to me)

Also, the igniter does not work, even though we have replaced it. The stove does not self ignite, I have to use gel fire starter on it every morning to get it lit. Any ideas on fixing that?

Thank you!

No error or blink codes. The only codes I have gotten were to empty the ash pan and to fill the hopper (but those were taken care of right away).

I clean the stove and burn pot at least once per week.

And the feed rate is turned down as far as it can go (25%), but the control dashboard shows it running at 50%. Which makes no sense to me. I attached pictures that I just took of the dashboard and feed rate settings

Attachments

• 20171120_163332[1].jpg
    20171120_163332[1].jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 324
  • 20171120_163459[1].jpg
    20171120_163459[1].jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 330
No error or blink codes. The only codes I have gotten were to empty the ash pan and to fill the hopper (but those were taken care of right away).

I clean the stove and burn pot at least once per week.

And the feed rate is turned down as far as it can go (25%), but the control dashboard shows it running at 50%. Which makes no sense to me. I attached pictures that I just took of the dashboard and feed rate settings
That is an absolute,not a p43

You are correct, my apologies, it comes up as an Absolute43. I miss-typed after reading about the p43 elsewhere trying to figure out what is wrong with mine.

Though the problem still remains the same
I do not know the new control system at all,cannot help you.

Hi all!

Bought a house this summer that had a Harman P43 installed already. When it wasn't too cold, it burned just fine and I had no issues with it.

Recently (as in the past 2 weeks) the stove has been having issues. The feed limit is set to 25%, but it continuously pushes the pellets out of the burn pot and into the ash pan, so the combustion of the pellets occurs in the ash pan. I have tried cleaning it, resetting all the factory defaults, etc. But it still continues to burn in the ash pan. The only way it wont is to leave it in "Test Mode" and manually advance the pellets by myself using the test features. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this stove is our primary heat source for what is looking to be a cold winter. I am used to wood burning stoves and fireplace inserts, so this is all quite new (and majorly annoying to me)

Also, the igniter does not work, even though we have replaced it. The stove does not self ignite, I have to use gel fire starter on it every morning to get it lit. Any ideas on fixing that?

Thank you!
Hey tweakes, the absolute is a new stove it may still be under warranty I would bet that it is so check with the previous owner see if he can help find where it was purchased and have a tech fix under warranty.

Hey tweakes, the absolute is a new stove it may still be under warranty I would bet that it is so check with the previous owner see if he can help find where it was purchased and have a tech fix under warranty.

I did not realize that is was such a new stove, my husband and I assumed it was much older. I will be contacting the seller in the morning.

Reactions: Zeus
I did not realize that is was such a new stove, my husband and I assumed it was much older. I will be contacting the seller in the morning.
I don't know exactly when harman started producing the absolute but my guess is you stove could only be about 2years old maybe one of the other members will have this info. Which it should still be under warranty from harman.

Should be BEHIND the Combustion Blower, in the exhaust stream, if it's like all the other Harman units.

So I should need to pull the exhaust fan off to get to the sensor? Or can I pull the sensor out through the rear housing to clean it?

Last edited:
I think DAKSY means (behind) on the vent pipe side of the combustion blower. But im sure it very close to the blower so look for the wires in or around the housing where the motor is.

1. I pulled the ESP probe out, gently cleaned it with a stiff nylon brush until it was clean.
2. I cleaned out the flue very thoroughly
3. cleaned the exhaust fan blades
4. scraped and cleaned the entirety of the stove

Looking at the diagnostics, everything is reading properly, and reset the cleaning prompts. Anything else that I should try?

Reactions: Harmanizer
IT WORKS! I deep cleaned the entire stove and especially the ESP sensor, now it burns properly and it even self ignites again (it hasn't since we bought the house despite my thorough cleaning right before it started getting cold)

Thank you all so much! You are all the best! My husband will be so pleased when he gets home from work tomorrow that I managed to not only get it burning properly, but also self igniting! Thank you thank you thank you! No more cold wife while husband is at work!

Congrats.Also,you should clean the flue/exhaust in near future.Search "leaf blower trick" here on this site.Also,the stove would have been shipped with a long flexible brush,you take of the plate covering the exhaust blower,and it will squeeze through,to the esp sensor.There is a how to video on harman site,and on youtube,for that stove.

Congrats.Also,you should clean the flue/exhaust in near future.Search "leaf blower trick" here on this site.Also,the stove would have been shipped with a long flexible brush,you take of the plate covering the exhaust blower,and it will squeeze through,to the esp sensor.There is a how to video on harman site,and on youtube,for that stove.

I did finally find the stove tools ( in a hidden drawer in the kitchen), and I did clean out the flue/exhaust as far as I could. I had the ESP sensor out when I did, so it would not inadvertently damage it in the process.

My husband ordered a flue/chimney kit and will clear that out too when it arrives.

I did finally find the stove tools ( in a hidden drawer in the kitchen), and I did clean out the flue/exhaust as far as I could. I had the ESP sensor out when I did, so it would not inadvertently damage it in the process.

My husband ordered a flue/chimney kit and will clear that out too when it arrives.
Cool,you should be good to go for the winter. :)

Reactions: Harmanizer
Another Happy Ending :):):)

BTW, the fire extinguishers shouldn't be near a potential source of fire.
Congrats on getting the stove working, it feels great when they fire up again!

Late to the party... great to hear you got it working. I have the same stove (except the big brother, 63). It is a great stove! So far, mine is heating the whole house (3400 sq ft) using only the HVAC blowers to move the heat around.

Mal