HARMAN ACCENTRA 2 Keeps blowing fuse...please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2013
PA
My 5-6 year old Harman Accentra 2 stopped feeding pellets for about 1 hour ( When it was calling for Pellets) and fire was going out even though the temperature was calling for fire.

Unplugged stove in hopes of resetting computer
When plugged back in the feed light lit and auger started but then fuse blew and everything shut off :-(

Replaced 6 Amp fuse and it does the same exact thing auger starts and fuse blows ...

Thinking possible Auger Motor problem ...

It is Palm Sunday and no one is answering their phones to fix it and we are supposed to be getting a snow storm here in PA. tonight and tomorrow ... So who knows if & when I will be able to get the 1 and only Harman dealer out to look at it.

Was working perfectly fine until this happened ...

Any and all help and/ or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... as it is getting cold in here already
Thanks so much for any help...

I had the same problem. What i did is connect a Killawatt meter to my plug and observed the amperage used as the stove went through it's start-up sequence. My combustion fan was my culprit. I sprayed some penetrating oil along the shaft to motor area and also along the shaft to stove behind the fan and did the trick for me, it has been a couple of months and all is well(Do so at your own risk!!) If you figure it's the auger motor, try it without the chain attached and at the same time check the rotation of the auger by hand. And while you're back there, empty the fines compartment. Hope this helps out!

Rereading your post, empty the hopper and investigate if something is jamming the auger. Your model might not have a chain like mine.

Thanks for the response Ivanhoe :)

Forgot to mention that I checked that the auger was not jammed and also the auger moves by freely hand.

I have a 5 function multitester but do not have a kilowatt meter ... Where would I get one ?

We do have a chain driven auger.

So was your stove blowing the fuse as soon as it was turning on ? Cuz ours just turns the 3 lights on and auger turns about 1/2 turn then it blows the fuse again...

Also disconnected the ignitor wires to see if that was causing the short but it was not ... still blowing fuse when turned on :-(((

as said above, and you elucidated above, most likely the comb blower or the auger motor...after that, the board......good on you for figuring out it wasnt the igniter----thats where I'd check first as well.....if you make up a pigtail, you can test each and every motor individually, to line voltage.....see if it pops the breaker.....you'll know pretty quick what the culprit is...

Is the wall outlet grounded? Is the stove grounded? Have you used a meter and checked for to see what amps the components are pulling?

Eric

Hi guys Thanks for all your help you are awesome :) ... We figured out it was the feed motor ( auger motor ) by disconnecting it and starting the stove ... since it did not blow the fuse we went and purchased the motor and installed it today and we are happy to report we have the wonderfully warm heat of our Harman once again ;lol ... Could not be happier ;) Thanks again to all who contributed to this successful endeavor :)

@ Eric yes they are both grounded...
& we also have it plugged into a surge protector in case I did not mention that...

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
Thanks for the response Ivanhoe :)

Forgot to mention that I checked that the auger was not jammed and also the auger moves by freely hand.

I have a 5 function multitester but do not have a kilowatt meter ... Where would I get one ?

We do have a chain driven auger.

So was your stove blowing the fuse as soon as it was turning on ? Cuz ours just turns the 3 lights on and auger turns about 1/2 turn then it blows the fuse again...

Also disconnected the ignitor wires to see if that was causing the short but it was not ... still blowing fuse when turned on :-(((

Google Killawatt! Try Amazon. Handy tool to have to check if electrical components are surging(abnormal) and normal conditions. There is a amperage consumption indicator of all electrical parts so it gives you a idea what kind of reading is normal. The total amperage for the Harman Accentra is a total of 3.6Amps. The individual components are about 0.7-0.9Amps each.

Status
Not open for further replies.