Harman Accentra 52i – problems in paradise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What year is that 52i you have?

ETA: For giggles please post a picture of the outside of your house that shows the vent. I would like to see the termination cap.

Last edited:
With Harman 3" horizontal venting is not to exceed 4 ft and Harman will advise shorter, FWIW. But that is with 3" vent, I don't know the rules about 4" as mine goes straight up 26ft.
Well, the techs are on site. So far, they replaced the following: burn pot and fan assembly had to go due to a redesign, brand new parts. New circuit board and ESP are also being replaced! Stove is clean and the vent is clear. they suspect my OAK is confusing the stove, apparently its not something you need on an insert unless you are 4 feet from a window. work is still in progress.
Let us know how it ends up but this sounds like the replace it till it runs right bunch.

Well, the techs are on site. So far, they replaced the following: burn pot and fan assembly had to go due to a redesign, brand new parts. New circuit board and ESP are also being replaced! Stove is clean and the vent is clear. they suspect my OAK is confusing the stove, apparently its not something you need on an insert unless you are 4 feet from a window. work is still in progress.
Did the burn pot have holes in the sides or was it dome other issue?

Did the burn pot have holes in the sides or was it dome other issue?
Mace energy installed my 52I on September of 2013, and this fall they updated the burnpot and the combustion fan blower cover. The techs name was Will. They have a good reputation in this area. Been around these parts for awhile.Hopefully they will get you up and running.

When my installer was here, he immediately said no OAK based on fireplace installation. So far, so good.
My dealer said 98% of stoves they install get no OAK. So I installed mine with no OAK. We had our own little Windy City right here inside our house last winter. So this year we installed an OAK. Don't use an OAK if you don't want to, the stove will burn fine either way as long as it gets enough air. But I can tell you first hand no OAK will pin point for you every draft source in your house. If you think your house has air leaks then install a pellet stove with no OAK to locate them. Cause they will about quadruple in intensity when you fire that baby up.

Maybe it's a little different with an insert, the insert might pull some air from leaks around the fireplace or chimney. don't know, ours is free standing ( P61).

Reactions: dradam1
My dealer said 98% of stoves they install get no OAK. So I installed mine with no OAK. We had our own little Windy City right here inside our house last winter. So this year we installed an OAK. Don't use an OAK if you don't want to, the stove will burn fine either way as long as it gets enough air. But I can tell you first hand no OAK will pin point for you every draft source in your house. If you think your house has air leaks then install a pellet stove with no OAK to locate them. Cause they will about quadruple in intensity when you fire that baby up.

Maybe it's a little different with an insert, the insert might pull some air from leaks around the fireplace or chimney. don't know, ours is free standing ( P61).
I have a 52I insert in a 200 year old farmhouse. Absolutely needed an OAK, it was draft city.

Reactions: alternativeheat
My insert sucks air from outside via the old fireplace cleanout door. No problems at all.
My fireplace had no clean out. But either way I installed the P61 outside the fireplace and ran the vent up the chimney. This year I also ran the OAK up inside the chimney as well. So far so good, way, way less drafts than last year.. But ya, I can see air being drawn through a loose clean out.

Reactions: dradam1
My insert sucks air from outside via the old fireplace cleanout door. Cheepo OAK. No problems at all.
I ran my OAK outside thru my old fireplace clean out in the bottom. Added a dryer vent cap to it outside. Just have to keep the snow from 20". It worked great.

My fireplace had no clean out. But either way I installed the P61 outside the fireplace and ran the vent up the chimney. This year I also ran the OAK up inside the chimney as well. So far so good, way, way less drafts than last year.. But ya, I can see air being drawn through a loose clean out.
I put a ribbon in the old ash doorway to monitor airflow. Sucks it in flat horizontal! Also, it's in the garage so no weather worries.

I don't like OAK, they are a waste of time in my opinion. Harman simply don't need them. I fired my last chimney sweeper because he wouldn't stop telling me that I needed one along with a flex liner. I told my recent chimney that and he doesn't bring it up at all. Live long and prosper!

Screenshot - 12242014 - 01:23:33 PM.png

Okay, the mace guys just left and we are up and running. It is great to have some pellet heat on Christmas eve! The techs were great, very professional, and I would recommend them to anyone with a Harman stove in need of service. As I said, they replaced the burnpot and the combustion fan blower cover as part of the Harman redesign on the 52i (recall). My stove was installed in May 2014 and manufactured in April 2014 and was not supposed to be affected, but it was. I suggest for any new owner of the 52i to check this ASAP with their dealer.

They also replaced the circuit board and ESP probe for good measure. They suspect a communication issue between these two components was the main cause of my problem, compounded by the recall stuff. So I basically have an almost new stove now. Seems to be running great, never seen it so happy! We will follow up for a week or two to verify the issues do not come back.

On the OAK - we did clear that up - I do need it as my vent is only about a foot from the house. They did say that they normally do not put them on the inserts. Not sure if I get anything out of having it, but its installed and connected with no plan to remove it so far, I guess will keep it.

My vent was practically clean. Its code safe, but a bit too close to the house and makes a mess on the siding - we might end up extending it up to the roof or something of that sort.

Last edited:
Reactions: chken
I don't like OAK, they are a waste of time in my opinion. Harman simply don't need them. I fired my last chimney sweeper because he wouldn't stop telling me that I needed one along with a flex liner. I told my recent chimney that and he doesn't bring it up at all. Live long and prosper!
No OAK didn't work so great in my house. But I knew my house was loose enough to support combustion at least. Some new construction houses today are not ( we don't all live in those), in fact they are very tight and the stoves croak out on a higher burn rate or at least get a dirty flame.. You are entitled to an opinion though. Doesn't have to be right but you get one !!

No OAK didn't work so great in my house. But I knew my house was loose enough to support combustion at least. Some new construction houses today are not ( we don't all live in those), in fact they are very tight and the stoves croak out on a higher burn rate or at least get a dirty flame.. You are entitled to an opinion though. Doesn't have to be right but you get one !!

My house is a new construction, insulated to R60, I have no drafts, almost LEED level if I didn't have garages. It sounds that the OAK is needed in my case then?. Stove is installed on main level (out of 3). The house is about 5000 SQF total.

Take two, they're small! ;)

My house is a new construction, insulated to R60, I have no drafts, almost LEADS level if I didn't have garages. It sounds that the OAK is needed in my case then?. Stove is installed on main level (out of 3). The house is about 5000 SQF total.
I would suspect so, or crack a window somewhere. But hold on to your hat if you do that ( kidding). Ya and OAK sounds ideal in your situation. You would be surprised how much air these stoves suck. Though your house certainly has a lot of square footage for the stove to draw from. Let's put it this way, if it were my house the stove would have an OAK.

Good to hear, hopefully your problems are resolved. Enjoy the heat and holidays...Be well..

My house is a new construction, insulated to R60, I have no drafts, almost LEED level if I didn't have garages. It sounds that the OAK is needed in my case then?. Stove is installed on main level (out of 3). The house is about 5000 SQF total.
The tighter your house air envelope the more you need an OAK.

Status
Not open for further replies.