Harman Accentra 52i install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
I installed my first 52i yesterday. Install went well. I like this stove even better than the original Accentra insert. Improved Features:
- exhaust path is 100% accessible for easy cleaning even for a novice. (other than having to roll unit out once a year to clean venting).
-combustion fan located behind a removable piece for easy cleaning.
-when removing comb. fan cover you can run a shop vac back and clean out cavity where exhaust hooks to the stove. Ash no longer fall directly onto the fan blade like original Accentra.
- Dual dist blowers mounted behind stove that are able to be cleaned as opposed to under the stove.
-dist fan is much quieter than old design
- cast iron panel removal and putting back in is still a pain....

It seems that Harmans redesign solved some of the issues that were present w/ old unit. Original Accentra is still a good stove but if you did not keep up on cleaning it could be a real bear. The exhaust tubes can get plugged w/ tar looking material that is almost impossible to remove do to there design.
Does anybody know of a insert that is easier to maintain/ clean than this? The experience that I have had w/ envirofire and whitfield has not been pleasant, having to drag them out to get to the back side. unhooking exhaust for cleaning then trying to get it to reseal ect.

The Accentra inserts are the easiest if you have a rail type system for removal:cool:

also, with the distribution fan location on the new stove, the fins are less likely to get filled with hair and debris....this was a real issue with folks who had flush hearths....the dust and hair would get drawn in much easier, tending to destabilize the fan, and cause its early demise.

Reactions: iceguy4 and Defiant
Nice info ... have a friend who is interested in an insert so I can pass this info on. Does it have zero clearance box?

Edit: Does anyone have dimensions on ZC box. Friend wants to replace gas burning fireplace with pellet insert. Already has steel housing but hearth consult told him he would have to rip down all existing install (stonework etc) and rebuild. Just trying to figure out if ZC won't fit or they are scamming him. $10,000 +/-

Last edited:
the ZC box 31-7/16" wide, 29-1/16" tall, 11-13/16" deep, and has a protrusion onto the hearth that is 7-3/4" deep...is also 1" tall.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Just finished my first cleaning after 35 bags and I cannot believe the amount of ash virtually everywhere and much stuck in nooks and crannies, under the fire box was packed and probably why my igniter did not work when it ran out of pellets a few days ago and had to restart with gel. I'm thinking this stove needs more frequent cleaning. But I love the heat!

Just finished my first cleaning after 35 bags and I cannot believe the amount of ash virtually everywhere and much stuck in nooks and crannies, under the fire box was packed and probably why my igniter did not work when it ran out of pellets a few days ago and had to restart with gel. I'm thinking this stove needs more frequent cleaning. But I love the heat!

glad you see the import of cleaning.....might I ask what brand of pellets you are using?

Reactions: iceguy4
Nice info ... have a friend who is interested in an insert so I can pass this info on. Does it have zero clearance box?

Edit: Does anyone have dimensions on ZC box. Friend wants to replace gas burning fireplace with pellet insert. Already has steel housing but hearth consult told him he would have to rip down all existing install (stonework etc) and rebuild. Just trying to figure out if ZC won't fit or they are scamming him. $10,000 +/-
Normally The front does not need disturbed. We normally just gut the existing prefabbed fireplace down to the most outer box then go from there running liner up existing chimney.

also, with the distribution fan location on the new stove, the fins are less likely to get filled with hair and debris....this was a real issue with folks who had flush hearths....the dust and hair would get drawn in much easier, tending to destabilize the fan, and cause its early demise.
This is a big improvement. The sound of the air on the old accentra sounded like it had alot of turbulence. Kind of like it was trying to push to much air thru to small of a area. I had to change a fan on a acc insert this fall for the first time by myself. I pulled the stove all the way out on the rails. Then I pulled the lid and door off to reduce weight and lifted it up on to 4x4 wood blocks on the rails. This gave enough clearance to get the job done. Being by myself this is the only solution I could come up with. But I really like the location and reduced noise of the new design.

Status
Not open for further replies.