Harman Accentra 52I Loud Popping during warm up and Cool down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Sickler251

Oct 28, 2014
CT
First off i would like to introduce myself. My name is Chris. I live in CT and am a new owner of a Harman Accentra 52I. I am new to pellet stoves so please forgive my ignorance on the subject. I tried to research this subject but can not seem to find any answer to this... Ok so here it goes:

So is i stated above i have a new harman 52I. To beat the rush of pellets for the cold weather after doing a bunch of research we ended up buying 3 tons of Cubex premium hard wood pellets. (i know i should have tried a few different brands before buying 3 tons but... they had the best reviews for what was available at the time). So i understand that during heat cycles and cooling cycles (expansion and compression of the metal) that tings, pops are normal. But my question is how loud is normal? The tings and pops that are coming from this stove are extremely loud. I mean it startles me while i am watching TV and during cycles in the middle of the night it keeps me up. Once the stove shut down and is cold. When i open the door it must relieve some pressure somewhere and will have one last loud ping. I plan on contacting my harman dealer, and maybe stopping by this weekend. But i am looking for any input i can get before had. I noticed that the installer wedged bolts under the front rail assembly between the stove rail and the hearth to support the front of the stove. I highly doubt this is common practice. I am curious if this maybe putting additional pressure on the stove or maybe even putting the stove out of level.

Harmans do make some strange noises, one thing they can do is make a rather loud pop when the slider in the feed assembly cuts a pellet in half. It's perfectly normal to have this noise. The noise you describe may or may not be normal as we can't hear it from here:p That being said if you have a concern then call the dealer, it's brand new. I don't like the sound of the wedged bolt being in there. Can you post a pic of this?

Harmans do make some strange noises, one thing they can do is make a rather loud pop when the slider in the feed assembly cuts a pellet in half. It's perfectly normal to have this noise. The noise you describe may or may not be normal as we can't hear it from here:p That being said if you have a concern then call the dealer, it's brand new. I don't like the sound of the wedged bolt being in there. Can you post a pic of this?

Thanks for the reply. Yes the stove is brand new. And i plan on contacting the dealer. Luckily they are only a few miles down the road but i have conflicting work hours with their hours, and i would rather just drive down and talk to someone, so i plan on waiting until the weekend. I will take a picture when i get home tonight. Basically there are 2 bolt/ nut assemblys (1 on under each rail) laying on their sides between the rails and the hearth. I have heard the stove cut a pellet or 2 in half. The popping noises i am referring to are much louder.. I may also take a video tonight of these popping noises.

So they are using the bolts to support the front of the rail because the hearth is about a 1/4" lower than the fie box. I removed the bolts to just see if it would stop the popping and. it doesn't seem to really improve at all.

Attachments

• 20141028_203210.jpg
    20141028_203210.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 628
  • 20141028_202004.jpg
    20141028_202004.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 584
So they are using the bolts to support the front of the rail because the hearth is about a 1/4" lower than the fie box. I removed the bolts to just see if it would stop the popping and. it doesn't seem to really improve at all.

the bolts aren't your noise, but looks a bit half-assed to me...

Yeah those bolts are not correct my accentra has bolts in the rail itself for support and leveling that's a very unprofessional shim job if those bolts were moved it could bend the frame or pull the bolts out of the floor in the rear of the frame.causing hazardous results when burning.

Seriously is that what is supporting the front of the stove?

Definitely half ass job by the installer. Makes me wonder what other half ass shortcuts he took during the install. Those loud popping noises may be related to a piss poor installation.

Reactions: Irish916
Agreed. Where there is smoke, there is bound to be fire. Someone who would do that probably took a bunch of major shortcuts in other places during the install.

Agreed. I am now wondering if the noises maybe related to something being not level. Maybe some sort of uneven pressure on the unit its self. Seems as any time i open the door and release the door pressure during heating and cooling i can produce the popping noises,
They seem to be coming towards the top inner portion of the fire box.(somewhere around the heat distribution channel/ exit). I was home during the install (although not standing over the guys) but it seemed other than the bolt spacer situation seemed liek they took their time and did a good job as far as i can tell.

Why did they use the bolts? It seems that they raised the unit up off the hearth? Was there a reason for that? Was this a zero clearance install?

well the base on the inside of the fire place is about 1/4" or so higher than the hearth. There was a ton of space for the install.

How much did you pay for said installation? Whatever you paid should have better end results. The "half assed" bolt shimama-bobs thing is ridiculous! NO EXCUSE! I have a Lopi wood insert but not familiar with the pellet inserts. Not much different I'd think. My P68 free standing came with leveling bolts if needed. They sure as hell aren't supposed to be used as jack up slip under crap. I would think the installers would carry say some plate steel in different thicknesses for shimming. You said 1/4'. Well guess what, they make 1/4' plate steel.

Looks like a Q & D install. Quick and Dirty! I'd be slightly pissed. Make them come out and get it right. You paid for a correct install so you should have gotten one.

How much did you pay for said installation? Whatever you paid should have better end results. The "half assed" bolt shimama-bobs thing is ridiculous! NO EXCUSE! I have a Lopi wood insert but not familiar with the pellet inserts. Not much different I'd think. My P68 free standing came with leveling bolts if needed. They sure as hell aren't supposed to be used as jack up slip under crap. I would think the installers would carry say some plate steel in different thicknesses for shimming. You said 1/4'. Well guess what, they make 1/4' plate steel.

Looks like a Q & D install. Quick and Dirty! I'd be slightly pissed. Make them come out and get it right. You paid for a correct install so you should have gotten one.
The harman accentra already has leveling bolts built into the frame from the factory no excuse for that at all

The harman accentra already has leveling bolts built into the frame from the factory no excuse for that at all

That's scary the "installer" was unaware of them. Huh? ...... _g Things that make you go, Hummmmm. I'm a contractor and see the work of hacks on a regular basis. It's sad.

I think what happened is they slid the stove in and realized they didn't level the front of the frame.instead of pulling the stove back out this was their quick fix

Reactions: twodogs02
Yea, nothing a crow bar and a couple of bolts won't take care of. Must have been beer : 30. Quitt'in time.

Reactions: Big papa
I think if they weren't in such a hurry and they used the correct bolts to begin with it would have still taken them less time than the shims.thats stupid!

Last edited:
Truthfully the bolts are not a huge concern themselves. They only warn me that maybe the install was rushed and not done as well as it should have. I can easily make and replace them with shims at work, (although i shouldn't have to and am contacting the installer on this issue as well as the noises). The major concern are the noises coming from the stove and what is causing them. I had the day off from work today and took some video if the noises. Could you guys take a look and confirm with me that these are NOT normal...? I just want to make sure in case i get a response from the dealer that popping and tinging noises are normal. I mean it says they are in the manual but i think that these are pretty extreme. Also note that this video was edited, first few seconds are during warm up and the others are during cool down. This is multiple clips put together. I would say that the stove pops or makes some sort of popping noise about every minuet or so until fully warm and than agian during cool down these. Thanks all!. (don't mind my dog walking around the hard wood flooring :) )

Chris.

That is definitely not a normal Harman sound. Does it occur when the auger is turning or at random times?

Random times... even after the stove is fully shut down and not running at all...
Well that helps a bit...sounds like something metal is expanding and contracting.

With Harman now a part of the Hearth & Home Technologies, is it possible that they have changed the gauge/composition of steel they use? Sounds like metal expansion/contraction but much louder than my "not a Harman" stove. If the stove is off level (front to back opposing sides), would that add more stress to the metal causing louder noises?

Truthfully the bolts are not a huge concern themselves. They only warn me that maybe the install was rushed and not done as well as it should have. I can easily make and replace them with shims at work, (although i shouldn't have to and am contacting the installer on this issue as well as the noises). The major concern are the noises coming from the stove and what is causing them. I had the day off from work today and took some video if the noises. Could you guys take a look and confirm with me that these are NOT normal...? I just want to make sure in case i get a response from the dealer that popping and tinging noises are normal. I mean it says they are in the manual but i think that these are pretty extreme. Also note that this video was edited, first few seconds are during warm up and the others are during cool down. This is multiple clips put together. I would say that the stove pops or makes some sort of popping noise about every minuet or so until fully warm and than agian during cool down these. Thanks all!. (don't mind my dog walking around the hard wood flooring :) )

Chris.

Not normal my accentra has never made that loud of a popping noise actually never heard a sound like that coming from it

Status
Not open for further replies.