Harman Accentra feed adjustment.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
I've noticed recently that the fire is burning back in the bottom of the pot and not up further. I usually keep it so it's burning about one inch from the edge. I've been slowly increasing feed rate over about an hour and it's made no change. Bit of a head scratcher. I'm definitely in automatic. It's not blinking any codes and maintaining the room at 71 degrees. I just can't get it to burn further up the pot.

I prefer to have it burning far back in the pot. It will burn hotter and create fewer clinkers. I have my feed rate set at 3.

Feed rate is a max not a commanded feed, if the pellets you have are burning hot enough and the esp is satisfied .. it will throttle as needed up to the max you set it to. It’s the most misunderstood knob /setting in the Harman world because most have come from other stoves which utilize it as a commanded rate.
Best thing I've learned today. FEED RATE IS A MAX! Can you give us something about stove temp knob in manual mode. When I put stove temp knob between 0-2 stove still burns as though it is on 3-4. Is there a tip or trick to get stove to recognize that it is on low number or might I need to replace a part. I do try to keep the 20 year old ESP probe clean. Tips, tricks, anything?

Feed rate is a max not a commanded feed, if the pellets you have are burning hot enough and the esp is satisfied .. it will throttle as needed up to the max you set it to. It’s the most misunderstood knob /setting in the Harman world because most have come from other stoves which utilize it as a commanded rate.
That makes sense, but usually I can use it to keep the fire about an inch from the edge of the burnpot. I think the manual even says to do it this way.... not entirely sure about that but this sticks in my mind. Doin this helps push the ash off the pot. The way it's burning now the pot is filling with ash covering ge holes and I have to clear it. Something just seems off.

Reactions: SpiralSparky
The “inch” is relative to each stove, my P61a pumps it amazing heat 2” back with hardwoods and 2-3” back with softwoods…and your stove will change parameters as it ages

That makes sense, but usually I can use it to keep the fire about an inch from the edge of the burnpot. I think the manual even says to do it this way.... not entirely sure about that but this sticks in my mind. Doin this helps push the ash off the pot. The way it's burning now the pot is filling with ash covering ge holes and I have to clear it. Something just seems off.
I agree if the ash isn’t coming off it’s either the pellets or there may be an air issue , on low burn it’s normal to have quite a bit in the pot, but as you go higher it should be pushing it off. And the fire “line” should be closer to the edge ..are all the holes clear?

It may also be whatever pellets are in there are making good heat on a lower burn but shouldn’t be drastically different from one brand to another unless you go to something like a coffee pellet which burns very low but tons of heat.

I agree if the ash isn’t coming off it’s either the pellets or there may be an air issue , on low burn it’s normal to have quite a bit in the pot, but as you go higher it should be pushing it off. And the fire “line” should be closer to the edge ..are all the holes clear?

It may also be whatever pellets are in there are making good heat on a lower burn but shouldn’t be drastically different from one brand to another unless you go to something like a coffee pellet which burns very low but tons of heat.
I clear the ash and it just piles up covering the holes eventually and has to be cleaned again. I only use Somerset pellets or Easy Heat pellets. It's doing the same thing with both.

The stove is still heating normally it's just the burn line has moved to the back of the pot and the feed adjustment isn't making any changes to that. It's like the feed adjustment no longer works. Would it throw a blink code if that was the case?

It's been doing this for several weeks. I thought maybe the chimney needed swept so I did that about 3 days ago. I ran a brush down it several times and then the leaf blower. It wasn't too bad. I cleaned the stove at the same time. It didn't make any difference.

Last edited:
I clear the ash and it just piles up covering the holes eventually and has to be cleaned again. I only use Somerset pellets or Easy Heat pellets. It's doing the same thing with both.

The stove is still heating normally it's just the burn line has moved to the back of the pot and the feed adjustment isn't making any changes to that. It's like the feed adjustment no longer works. Would it throw a blink code if that was the case?
Not for the adjustment per se, if it’s throwing good heat , are you able to force it to burn hotter on stove temp? In room temp mode it will throttle based upon setpoint as well as esp temp correlation. In stove temp it’s purely esp driven , I would see if it runs better in one mode vs the other since that could clue you in as to what is going on. If it’s the same then I’d start looking at either airflow or a faulty component and sure a bad feed adjustment could be failsafed in the software to a “1” .

The only time you would get codes on a Harman is if a vac switch fails, run out of pellets or cannot satisfy esp, an out of range esp, etc.

Since it’s maintaining temperature , try stove temp and turning that to a decent value and see if it ramps up , that would rule out a feed issue .

It's been doing this for several weeks. I thought maybe the chimney needed swept so I did that about 3 days ago. I ran a brush down it several times and then the leaf blower. It wasn't too bad. I cleaned the stove at the same time. It didn't make any difference.
I burn my stove on low stove temp 1-2 most of the time and clear my ashes once in the morning and once at night which is not a big deal for me. When I increase the feed rate from 3 to a higher number the ashes will clear themselves, but I use more pellets. It may be my imagination but sometimes when the stove does not react as I think it should to temp or feed changes, I turn the stove off and unplug it just for a moment and I believe that the changes may take effect when I plug it back in. This is not always the case but has happened occasionally, I think but am not 100% sure.

Reactions: 3650