Harman Accentra - flames beside burn pot - bad flame guide?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ian105

Feb 10, 2014
Southwest Michigan
First winter with the stove, got it used came with 2 flame guides, which I thought was strange but appreciated it when finding out I have to chip buildup off them when cleaning. The only part of cleaning I have to go outside for since when chipping the stuff off it flies everywhere.

I've been noticing that I'm getting some weird flame patterns at times and alot of black crusty carbon type stuff between the burn pot and the stove body, which I assume is from this behavior. Happens more when running on higher heat levels, and the flames beside the pot look whispy, main flame is fine. One flame guide seems to be worse than the other, but they both do it.

See pics. Could this be caused by a flame guide needing to be replaced?
They don't appear to be in bad shape

Ive made sure to scape the mating surface on the stove body at the back of the burn pot clean, so the flame guide isnt hung up on anything and its fully seating. Problem goes away after awhile of burning assuming I dont bump the flame guide when scraping, seems the the buildup "seals" it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422415827.662812.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1422415835.775359.jpg

Last edited:
First winter with the stove, got it used came with 2 flame guides, which I thought was strange but appreciated it when finding out I have to chip buildup off them when cleaning. The only part of cleaning I have to go outside for since when chipping the stuff off it flies everywhere.

I've been noticing that I'm getting some weird flame patterns at times and alot of black crusty carbon type stuff between the burn pot and the stove body, which I assume is from this behavior. Happens more when running on higher heat levels, and the flames beside the pot look whispy, main flame is fine. One flame guide seems to be worse than the other, but they both do it.

See pics. Could this be caused by a flame guide needing to be replaced?
They don't appear to be in bad shape

Ive made sure to scape the mating surface on the stove body at the back of the burn pot clean, so the flame guide isnt hung up on anything and its fully seating. Problem goes away after awhile of burning assuming I dont bump the flame guide when scraping, seems the the buildup "seals" it.

View attachment 151895View attachment 151896
Hi Ian..this has been a tradition with my Harman. I viewed a post here where someone suggested using a piece of gasket pushed into the space above the flame guide. It did make a difference.

Maybe a slight warping but after it heats up it expands a little to seat properly? This happened to me after a cleaning and I later found I had not seated the guide properly and had the flame shooting out both sides. I took it off and it took me a bit of time to get it lined up properly and then no more side flames.

Reactions: Big papa
I noticed the same thing with my Harman Accentra (7 years old). A dealer told me to use a hammer to bang the flame guide down to ensure it is properly "seated". I tried this, it didn't really do much. I'm not really worried to much, the stove burns hot and clean with nice strong flame.

Really does not look right me..Don't think it should be " leaking" flame there. Again a piece of gasket should take are of it. Something is warped

I have seen that phenomena about 3 times on my Accentra FS. Scared the hell out of me at first and I shut the stove down.

Even though I keep my stove real clean, cleaning it again has made the problem go away each time. Maybe it was really how the piece was sitting but once I picked it up I never knew. In any event, dos not seem to be a problem.

I think a new flame guide costs about $20-$25. They are a wear part meaning they will go bad and need replacement.

Last edited:
Could the burn pot itself be warped, maybe where it mounts to the back of the stove or the pot itself ??

You seem to have a lot of space between the burnpot and the upper oart of the steel plates. My flame guide actually butts against them. Could you be getting pellets in there? I can't see how flame can originate from there unless there is fuel.

Aldo, your flame guide doesn't seem to fit over the burnpot either. The burnpot edges should fit the flame guide grooves their whole length.

Last edited:
I ordered a flame guide to see if it makes a difference. I usually only get this after cleaning. Wherever the leakage is gets plugged up after running for awhile. Might try the hammer trick to to see if it will seat differently

Hammers and cast iron do not mix real well. I wouldn't beat on it and you shouldn't have too. It either fits or it is warped or out of specs somehow. But then again some people think hammers and duct tape fix everything. I question any dealer that would recommend taking a hammer to "fix" something. Not sure where they were going with that one........?

I would fit a new $23 flame guide first before you create any other problems. JMHO.

Reactions: F4jock
A dealer told me to use a hammer to bang the flame guide down to ensure it is properly "seated". I tried this, it didn't really do much.
There's your hammer trick answer right there.

I ordered a flame guide to see if it makes a difference. I usually only get this after cleaning. Wherever the leakage is gets plugged up after running for awhile. Might try the hammer trick to to see if it will seat differently

I believe the answer is in the second sentence. If it was working fine before cleaning and giving you trouble after, I am betting the flame guide is not seated properly rather than being warped and just needs to be fiddled with to seat it right. The tolerances are tight and it has to be placed just right. Mine looked right but after taking it out and re-seating it a couple of times, it seated properly and no more side flame,

Reactions: bags
I believe the answer is in the second sentence. If it was working fine before cleaning and giving you trouble after, I am betting the flame guide is not seated properly rather than being warped and just neethey're fooled with to seat it right. The tolerances are tight and it has to be placed just right. Mine looked right but after taking it out and re-seating it a couple of times, it seated properly and no more side flame,
Just take a look at the pictures
Note how it's sitting in, or rather not in, the grooves. I'm not saying this IS the cause of the problem but the Harman cleaning instructions, at least the ones I have, are pretty detailed and even include pictures. In my book this is like installing a tire on a car and not tightening the lug nuts. I mean what the hell, they're on there, right?

And you do NOT beat cast iron with a hammer! Seat the flame guide properly. If that doesn't work, if it is really warped, buy a new one. They're cheap enough. OR if you suspect the burn pot is warped, take some measurements of yours and go to the dealer and compare with a new one. OR take your flame guides to the dealer and ask him to fit them into a new stove. You'll know in two minutes.

I'm really starting to lose patience. . . . . .

Last edited:
I should clarify my comment about the hammer. The dealer said use a hammer, giving a little "love tap" by no means am I taking a full swing nor do I recommend doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.