Harman Advance Hopper Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick5472

Oct 19, 2008
Columbia, MD
Yesterday I left my stove on and my wife was tending it. she noticed that the stove had shut down and the status light was blinking (I am not sure how many times). I told her over the phone to unplug the unit from the wall and then plug it back in thinking it should reset the computer. She did this and the feeder motor light came on but wasn't feeding any pellets into the burn pot. and yes, the hopper was full. When I came home I too unplugged the stove and then plugged it back in to see what was up. The same thing happened the stove shut down with the feed motor light on and no pellets in the burn pot. I decided to stick my hand in the hopper and stir up the pellets. Once I did that the pellets started coming out of the auger and the stove lit a short time after. Is this something that happens occassionally and should I consider it a problem? Also, I am curious if anyone has a diagram of the Harman Advance pellet feed system or can tell my how the pellets get from the hopper to the auger. apparently my hopper door was stuck or something but I am not sure. -Rick

I don't own a Harman, but it's possible that a real long pellet(s) got stuck over the opening (called a bridge) and didn't allow any more pellets to feed. Your hand just pushed it out of the way enough to get it to feed.

What brand pellets are you using? Have you noticed any longer than about 1 1/2 " ? It could have been just a one time thing. If it happens again, and you DO notice that you have a lot of long pellets, you might consider changing brands (if possible), or else you'll just have to live with it.

As for the hopper "door", someone w/ an Advance will have to help you with that, if you decide it wasn't the pellets.

What brand pellets are you using? Have you noticed any longer than about 1 1/2 “ ? It could have been just a one time thing. If it happens again, and you DO notice that you have a lot of long pellets, you might consider changing brands (if possible), or else you’ll just have to live with it.

Thanks macman........

I did mix in an older bag of Pennington pellets that someone gave me and there were some long ones in there. I thought that they would break up once they hit the auger. I guess not.

I would like to better understand how the hopper feed system works on an Advance.

There is a slide plate in the opening, as the feed system cycles, the slide plate slides back and drops pellets down into the auger, it is very possible that there was a long pellet or something else blocking it, and you freed it when moving the pellets around. If you look at the back of the stove, the side that has the plastic fan on it you will see a box with a wing nut, open the wing nut and you will see the slide plate move as it cycles the feed system. This is the area where the fines collect, that should be cleaned out periodically.

Do have a couple Harman dealers near you? The dealer I bought my stove from had a model of the Harman feed system on a board so that they could show customers how their patented bottom feed system worked. Maybe I can stop in and take a picture of it.

codebum said:
Do have a couple Harman dealers near you? The dealer I bought my stove from had a model of the Harman feed system on a board so that they could show customers how their patented bottom feed system worked. Maybe I can stop in and take a picture of it.

My Harmon dealer is not very knowledgable and basically a salesman. Plus they are about 30 miles away. I did some research online and through other firends that had a Harman on my decision to by the Advance.

That would be cool if you can provide a diagram or picture of the feed system . I will also try the Harman site.

I'll see if what I can do to get a pic posted.

When to clean the hopper I guess will be variable. Mostly to do with the amount of fines your pouring in. I thought I read somewhere to clean it out every 1-ton of pellets. But it is probably better to run your hopper out every so often so you can monitor how much build up you have, then you get a better idea of the frequency of cleaning of the hopper.

I did find a parts diagram in the Advance manual (Advance Feeder Assembly) . It would still be nice to have a better diagram or picture.

when I clean the stove it takes a minute it also depends on the type of pellets, when I use a certain brand there was more fines.

Harman Advance

Attachments

• feed box.jpg
    feed box.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 471
codebum said:
....When to clean the hopper I guess will be variable. Mostly to do with the amount of fines your pouring in. I thought I read somewhere to clean it out every 1-ton of pellets. But it is probably better to run your hopper out every so often so you can monitor how much build up you have, then you get a better idea of the frequency of cleaning of the hopper.

Being a convert from a wood burning stove to a relative newbie to burning pellets, I'm letting the stove run out of pellets on Sat. morning, and then doing a weekly cleaning. That way, I have a good idea of what kind of fines/ash is building up. And if there's one thing I've learned by being on this forum, it's that a clean stove, is a happy stove! :cheese:

So far, (knock on wood), not one problem w/ the stove.

it was a bridge covering the feed throat opening.
#2 cause was mentioned..............Long pellets or sometimes excess fines.
#1 cause of a bridged hopper...................................................Trying to fit more pellets in the hopper than it will hold.
you can spread them out along the sides but avoid pushing them down, this will compact them and keep them from dropping..
I've done it, as well as countless others...

GVA said:
flashbang said:
Harman Advance
That doesn't look like the right feed it should be a chain drive not direct drive, unless they have changed recently...

My Advance-2 has a chain drive. I will look at the clean-out this weekend. Then maybe I can get a better feel of how it works. I would think thet the slide is adjustable by the feed rate??

GVA said:
flashbang said:
Harman Advance
That doesn't look like the right feed it should be a chain drive not direct drive, unless they have changed recently...
It is a chain drive. The pic is from the Manual.

it is adjustable by the feed rate, but not in the way you think.
one revolution of the auger= one opening and closing cycle of the slide plate. In actuallity the slide plate opens and closes within 1/2 a revolution of the auger.
4 rpm gearmotor set at feed rate of 3, auger will make 2 full revolutions in a minute cycle and the slide plate is moved(twice) via the horseshoe cam by the cam follower on the auger sprocket.
That is to say you can't adjust the feed other than by the feed rate knob....

Status
Not open for further replies.