Harman Advance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire

Feb 7, 2007
NYC
I have an 8 year old Harman Advance (original owner). Just recently, within the past week it squeals upon initial start up for about 5-10 seconds. After that, it runs fine. I cleaned the stove and scraped the burn pot. There is no carbon buildup resistance to the auger. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hard to say without hearing it. The combustion blower will come on when it's turned on. Have you cleaned/inspected that lately? It's behind the ash pan if you're not familiar with it. Could be that getting tired or brushing something (ash or bent fins etc..).

It's probably the dreaded Harman auger squeal!!.....In 8 years, have you ever removed the auger and cleaned it with a wire wheel? If not, it's time. Then you can get a good look at your auger tube and clean the end of that as well. I believe an Advance of that vintage has the chain drive from the auger but if you are handy at all, you can pull the auger motor, disconnect the chain and remove the auger. This is all done from the rear of the stove.

Could well be the exhaust fan bearings going dry and heading south if its doing it on startup as that Is the first thing that starts upon turning the stove on. Probably not what one wants to hear about in the heart of heating season:(

Status
Not open for further replies.