Harman Advance to a P61A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowrider

Nov 29, 2007
Eastern MA
Hi Folks,

It's been a long while since I posted. I purchased a Harman Advance 3 years ago, and the first year or so was very frustrating as I was a new burner, plus I had to replace two auger motors, one chain guide, and I had a problem with the distribution blower squeeling but that went away. The guy I bought it from was a deadbeat and didn't want to know me after he sold it. I went back and forth with Harman, etc...This forum helped me out greatly through the pain and agony as there were no other dealers close to me. There was one within 50 miles that I offered to pay extra, but they would only service their own stoves. Needless to say I have had great luck with the unit for the past 2 seasons, this one included. I take absolutely meticulous care of the unit; I scrape it and clean the glass every day, and once a month I do a complete break down and clean. My father in law has a P61A and it's a much simpler system to clean, plus it seems to be less technical electronics wise, plus no chain driven auger. This past Sunday, I noticed that the distribution blower kept cutting in and out. I said to myself.. "here we go again!!" . It seemed to straighten itself out and it went away. Monday morning I went to the Harman site as I haven't been on it for over a year. I did a dealer search and what do you know, one opened up 1.5 years ago right down the street from where I work!!! I called them up and once again, they would only service what they sell, but the guy was super nice. He said he would come out the beginning of April to service it for me, but he gave me a few things to try. I tried the first one, make sure the thermostat wire was hooked in all the way... which it wasn't as it must have been pulled when my wife was cleaning that day .. my bad, and it is now fine. I got to talking with him about my experience, and he felt my pain. He said that if I ever wanted to buy one from him, I would be a priority customer. After thinking long and hard, I decided to buy the P61A, very timely with the $600.00 Harman discount. I have learned over the years that a Pellet stove requires daily maintenance, and you need to be familiar with the operation of; also, they do have problems. I am now focused on service, and I feel great about my new dealer. I hope to have luck with it, but if it does have a problem, at least it will be covered.

My Advance is in prestine condition, and it has been well taken care of. I live in the Boston Ma area and I just put it on Craigslist for $1,800.00. This forum was great to me 2 years back so if anyone from here is intersted, $1,500.00 first come first serve. It is still hooked up and running fine so you can see it. I have the manual as well. If my house was bigger I would keep it, but I don't have the room. You can call me at 978-821-5879 if you are interested. My name is George.

Anyway,

Thanks for Reading!!!

Hi George!

I am curious about something? Given the problems you initially experienced with the auger motors, and other parts and then the reluctance of dealers to service your stove, why did you decide to keep your next purchase with Harman?

I own an Advance and I am very happy with both my stove and my dealer. So, far (fingers crossed) I have had no problems with either. I am currently very "pro" Harman products, but was curious about your comfort staying with the brand.

PS: Good luck with the new P61A!

Hi There,

I know that my post might sound strange, but the problems that I had were really early on. I have more of an issue with the dealer that I bought it from, than I do the stove. I am more interested in peice of mind, knowing that if I did have an issue, I could call someone for service. The dealer that I bought it from, wouldn't even come out to my house to service it, he also gave me wrong direction along the way, his wife told me that that it wasn't their fault if stupid customers like me didn't know how to run the stove; I kid you not... I tried to find another dealer that would come out and service it when I was having the problems, but no one would as I didn't buy the stove from them.

This forum helped me in the following ways. My dealer had the outside air hooked up to the stove, and for the first season it didn't burn right, and he said it was the pellets that I was using; he never came out to look at it. A member of the site asked if I had any windows within 8 ft of the stove. I said I have windows withing 2 feet on either side of the stove. he said to pull the outside air hook up out and let it run off the house. The stove has burned fine ever since. I had a squeel every time the auger motor came on. I called the dealer and he said come up and I will give you another motor. Yup, I had to take it off myself and exchange it. I put it all back together, same squeel. I called the dealer and he said that I must be doing something wrong and he wouldn't give me another one. I got on this site and another member tolde me to pull the back plate off and see it it goes away. It did, and he said that it was the nut on the gear, scraping the back plate. I moved the gear back, and it has been fine. Stuff like that....so really I didn't have problems with the stove, I had problems with the dealer.

My father in law has the P61A and has had it for the last 4 years w/o any problems. The P61A is less mantenance (easier to clean), more BTU's, and holds more pellets, plus... no chain drive auger. My new dealer told me that the new Advance's are going to be redesigned to eliminate the chain drive. All of this, plus the $600.00 off from Harman, a dealer that will provide service for as long as I own the stove. Despite the problems early on, my Advance has performed fine once the bugs were worked out. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have it sold. I have someone coming out tonight to look at it.

My wife likes the look of the 61 better than the Advance as well. I think Harman makes a great product, but new customers need to understand with any Pellet Stove, that they are made up of many moving parts, goverend by electronics; eventually they will experience problems. I think all of us realize that regular maintenance and care is definitely needed. I would encourage anyone to shop for a dealer first, then the stove.....

Does this make beter sense?

One again, this site is a must for any pellet stove owner.

Thanks Again!!!

I agree that you had a bad dealer experience and I agree that a dealership and their service should be high on the list of consideration when purchasing a stove. The purchaser should also be aware of the maintenance and noises involved in pellet stoves.

I originally went in to my dealer to purchase a P61A stove. Unfortunately, my timing was off as the Harman stove shortage was just hitting. All the local dealers were out of the P61A stoves. My closest dealer only had one Advance in stock. Another local dealer had one P68 in stock. My taste in styling is different though, as my wife preferred the look of the Advance over the P68.

My wife and I were just discussing last night our change from a wood stove to the pellet stove. I guess her comment that sums it up the most is she just said "Their different!". She said at first it took her awhile to get used to the difference in flames, and the sound of the fans compared to the quite wood stove. She said she loved the constant consistent temperature of the house though compared to the wood stove which was harder to keep the room at a steady comfort level. She also understands that it's easier on me compared to wood (stacking, mice, bugs, bark and dirt always on the floor, etc.).

And...yes I find this forum to be very, very helpful also. I even learned something new from your post...about the " nut on the gear, scraping the back plate".

That was a real bargin price you were offering your "Advance" for. I hope you sell quick, and I hope the P61A stays trouble free for you.

Thanks!!

I still have my Vmt Castings Intrepid 2 Wood Stove on the ready, but wood is much more work. Wood is the best heat for sure, but it is a chore.... I light that on weekends when it's below 20'.

The dealer this time is super nice, and is actually opening another store on the Southshore so business for him is great. He is also 15 min. away from my house. He came out last night to look at the install, really nice guy. He sold 140 Harman units this year alone, and only 4 have needed service calls. 3 were from operator error (Hopper Lid not shut properly), and he said that one circuit board needed to be replaced. That speaks for the Harman stoves. His approach is to educate customers right out of the gate. He explains all of the work and attention that is needed with the Pellet Stoves.

I'm looking forward to the new stove, but am sad at the same time as I know my Advance like the back of my hand. I am selling it to a friend of my fathers who has specifically wanted the Advance. I told him $1,500.00, and I think that's a pretty good deal. I will also clean it for him, help him hook it up, and I will do the fist major cleaning with him.

I sure am glad to be back on the forum, and I plan on being an active member again...

Status
Not open for further replies.