Harman auto start vs manual.????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
So, today is the first full day of using this unit, I finished the install last night. I know all is different and pellets and the like. But, the auto start vs manual. Has anyone done any testing on this?

Thoughts are
Auto, the combustion motor would stop at some point and you don't burn the 1lb an hour in manual. Also, the unit cools down

Manual, the unit stays warm/how with the manual feed buring 1lb an hour. The blower does cycle on/off based on manual heat.

So, which burns more pellets in a day? I would think the manual would keep a more steady temp range and less ramp up to heat. But, the electricity. This morning I woke to finding low pellet fuel and it took a bit to raise the temps.

Now, I have the unit taking the basement air as i don't have the unit on the return duct yet. So, in theory, I am heating a 3600 sqft home right now as the basement of 50x24 is at 65 - 68 because of this.

If this has not been done and I can't learn from others, maybe this can be my contribution to the learning.

Thanks,
D.

Status
Not open for further replies.