Harman bulk hopper with pellet crushing auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceguy4

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2011
Upstate, NY
This year when I started using mine almost right away it was making a lot of dust and crushing bout 1/2 of the pellets it delivered to the boilers hopper. You can hear it crushing pellets.. I took it apart and the auger seams to be looser then I would set it. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?
When I inspected tube and auger...no rust. sprayed a can of graphite on both auger and tube and after a day it is still GREAT...no noise , no dust, not one crushed pellet. BUT how long is that gonna last?

I used graphite paint on an auger to great success and it lasted more than two seasons feeding a boiler.

spray graphite will generally stay put pretty well, it gets "rubbed" into the small imperfections in the metal and fills them, its also a 'contact lubricant" it gets slicker with movement against it. i'd expect a season or two at least with a good application

FWIW i use it on the inside of direct vent exhaust blowers and fan blades as well, tends to make the stuff that builds up on them take longer to build up and also makes for easier cleaning of the blower and fan

Status
Not open for further replies.