Harman customer service WHAT A JOKE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To top all this off my outside air kit literally fell out the side of the house and we had to redo it as well. It got broke apart while I was putting the back together again and all the sudden 4 inches of fresh air woke me up :lol: I spent 57 dollars buying new double wall galvanized gas vent pipe to replace the single wall snap together aluminum sheet pipe. At least it looks nice now :)

Pete

Pete1983 said:
To top all this off my outside air kit literally fell out the side of the house and we had to redo it as well. It got broke apart while I was putting the back together again and all the sudden 4 inches of fresh air woke me up :lol: I spent 57 dollars buying new double wall galvanized gas vent pipe to replace the single wall snap together aluminum sheet pipe. At least it looks nice now :)

Pete
sometime you gotta do it yerself to get it done right Pete! Stay with it brother, you'll get it done if you stay the course. Be courteous, but stern and adamant and tell them the 'only way' that you will 'go away' is if they fix it RIGHT AWAY!! :vampire: :snake:

Sorry to hear your having all this trouble.

My way of dealing with harman is to do the work myself, and get the parts from the dealer, .Its the dealer who is in the wrong here in my opinion. They are the ones here who gave the wrong advice and now they want to duck responsibility for that advice. They want to make the margins but dont want to do any follow up leg work. Harman NEVER did have a customer service leg at the Mfg point. If they are guilty of anything its not having a clear policy with their dealers what the dealers responsibility is and not taking punative action to weed out bad dealers. The dealer i bought from had good price but was clueless about the stove.I got all my info from Hearth .com

Any Buck dealers near you?
http://www.buckstove.com/dealers.php

That's a solid American-made stove, with good customer support, from what little I've heard.

EDIT: I meant to post this on your other thread - I'll put it there, too!

I've been reading this with interest, though I don't have or know anyone with a Harman. But I just gotta wonder here, if Harman is so bad, why does anyone have one??? I mean, I've read no reason(s) to buy one and a number of reasons not to.

I can honestly say SteveKG overall they are a good stove and built like a tank. My issue at this point is the super lack of anything resembling customer service When I buy I expect it to work and if not to be fixed asap. This has not been the case as they will not provide customer service! For some people that may not be an issue however with me I pay hard cash and I better get good service but then that is just me. They really do make a quality stove and that I am sure is what sells it however like anything else problems occur leading to my issue.

Thanks
Pete

Wonder how much money harnan lost in sales by potential customers reading this post over a 129 dollar gasket.

Seems like a silly business move on their part

SteveKG said:
I've been reading this with interest, though I don't have or know anyone with a Harman. But I just gotta wonder here, if Harman is so bad, why does anyone have one??? I mean, I've read no reason(s) to buy one and a number of reasons not to.

I bought mine (used) based on the excellent comments and ratings in the reviews section of the site, from years past. And the grill is great. But I have my issues, too.

The company has gone through some growing pains. As BG pointed out, it's mostly that Harman wants to leave ALL customer service interaction to their dealers. By doing so, they leave themselves without the structure to respond well when the dealer fails in his ability to provide service. It's really stupid on Harman's part, because it is obvious that a certain percentage of dealers will just plain suck - there's no getting around that law of averages. Harman could easily fix this by having a small staff of responsive customer service reps who will pick up the ball when the dealer fails to do so.

The stove itself is mostly well-made, but the downdraft burn-technology has parts that are prone to need maintenance. Overall, Harman did a much better job designing and building this kind of stove than Vermont Castings did at one point, and VC also went through a period of denying warranty claims. But VC seems to be improving both their product and customer service. What about it, Harman?

To bad about your Harmon experience. I am very loyal to dealers of all sorts, but those quality dealers are getting far and few between. Sometimes I am GLAD when a warranty runs out, then everyone at the table can be honest about what needs fixed and how much it is really going to cost.

Good luck with your stove.
Bill

Harman customer service reminds me of when i got my first computer in 1992. I couldnt find anyone to service it so i learned everything i could about them even to the point of starting a small computer shop. IM not going to start a harman shop but if it ever needs fixing ill just as well do it myself.That option dont work for everyone though. I feel sorry for those with a bad dealer.

StuckInTheMuck said:
http://www.bbb.org/ They've helped me with a few things over the years. At least others who do research will know about this problem. Search for Hearth & Home near 55044 zip, You will see that 12 people have reported problems with products or warranty. They have a B+ rating and are not accredited. Based on history< it looks like you have a 50/50 chance of success.

B+ isn't that bad. The stove shop in my neck of the woods rates an F, with three recent3 BBB complaints on the books that received zero response from the shop for either the customer/complainer or the BBB itself. Yikes!

Thanks very much for the link!

I think its an issue of lack of customer support as stove companies are small operations and the cost of customer support is a cost they try not to have. Like was said the dealer is the customer support for them, as that's a cheaper alternative than have a customer support department that has full time employees that need to be paid and have benefits. Stoves are a competitive industry that is low volumes for most stove companies and the cost to make a low volume product means they cant mark them up very much. If there isnt much of a mark up then cost containment of the warranty issues is a big emphasis for them.

I think the taking off the back shield is not reason for voiding the warranty. Sounds like cost control of their warranty costs.

Oh I bet there is more markup then you think..at least on some brands..BK namely..lol.

When I was stove shopping I considered Harmon since they have a factory about 40 minutes from me. A friend who I valued his opinion said he loved his pellet stove, built great and worked great but when he had a problem the dealer he bought it from went out of business so he contacted Harman and all he got was find an dealer. Two other dealers he called were less then helpful.

Shame to hear, but good to know. Information is power.

Pete,

Disclaimer, do not read if you are a Happy Harman stove user:

Sorry to hear about your Harman stuff. I tried dealing with multiple dealers and the corporate headquarters with a multiple amount of issues I was dealing with at the time. My last resort was to sue, but I chose to not have a judgement placed that would probably never be able to be collected. I never did get anywhere with it. I wound up repairing it myself, but ask why is it sitting on a crate in my garage? Well, because it is a untrustworthy certified POS. Around here we call it the (joke) wood.

Beware if the dealer give you parts under warranty work and install it yourself, mine claimed just do it yourself, I am too busy. Mine claimed the labor rate plus parts installed on two different issues, when in reality I did it myself.

Hearth and Home has the resources to clear up customer service issues and work with dealers, but both parties are responsible. Myself as a business man, drop any product line that is lacking quality or poor support. If they care about their product and have complaints about a dealer, they should pull their dealership.

Fast forward a couple years and I have an awesome woodstock fireview and they have great customer service. It has healed the "Harman" wounds of the past. I smile every morning loading it up before I leave for work.

Lesson I learned, customer service and craftsmanship are worth their weight in gold.

Wow ! A thousand views on this one. I did not realize there where some many people on this forum.

Sorry to hear about your Harmon experience,but I can relate.I had the same stove as you ,one of the first ones,had alot of problems with the door/ damper workings on the stove.My dealer told me I didnt know how to adjust properly and came to my housr to fix the adjustment.They were on the phone to Harmon from9 am to 1 pm trying to adjust the stove so the damper would work.To no avail,they advised the dealer to give me another stove,and they did.So ,brand new stove,1 month burning ,the same problem.This time I was told I'm out of luck,burning it to hot,causing problems,viod warranty.So how do you controll a stove that the damper doesnt work on?Anyways to make a very long story short,after dealing with Harmon direct and thru the dealer for near 3 years I got frustrated and called the Maine Attorney General on advise from a friend,and within 2 weeks I had a pro rated [on my suggestion] refund.I was glad to see the Harmon POS out of my house.I had a bunch of phone numbers,but I probably threw them away.Keep at it until you are satisfied,I hope it all works out.

jdonna said:
Pete,

Disclaimer, do not read if you are a Happy Harman stove user:

Sorry to hear about your Harman stuff. I tried dealing with multiple dealers and the corporate headquarters with a multiple amount of issues I was dealing with at the time. My last resort was to sue, but I chose to not have a judgement placed that would probably never be able to be collected. I never did get anywhere with it. I wound up repairing it myself, but ask why is it sitting on a crate in my garage? Well, because it is a untrustworthy certified POS. Around here we call it the (joke) wood.

Beware if the dealer give you parts under warranty work and install it yourself, mine claimed just do it yourself, I am too busy. Mine claimed the labor rate plus parts installed on two different issues, when in reality I did it myself.

Hearth and Home has the resources to clear up customer service issues and work with dealers, but both parties are responsible. Myself as a business man, drop any product line that is lacking quality or poor support. If they care about their product and have complaints about a dealer, they should pull their dealership.

Fast forward a couple years and I have an awesome woodstock fireview and they have great customer service. It has healed the "Harman" wounds of the past. I smile every morning loading it up before I leave for work.

Lesson I learned, customer service and craftsmanship are worth their weight in gold.

I have an attorney who is appalled at the situation and is also a good friend of mine. We are looking at going to small claims court to get what paid back and have them return the stove no more than that. I do not want to rip them off just to get proper service! Yesterday we looked at another fairview a friend has in a house very close in age and insulation to ours. It did a good job but has to be burned hot all the time to keep warm so know I am looking at ordering the progress. My wife and I are also looking at other brands of cast iron stoves too so we can keep an open mind. I hope you can get something to work with the oakwood maybe you can turn it into a hot dog roaster. It is good to hear you are happy with woodstock I have heard that from many people. Thanks Jdonna

Pete

Glad to hear you are taking care of this legally. Teach them what customer service is suppose to be about.

Remember everyone this company is KERNAL BURNER of Saginaw, Michigan. There customer service is terrible.

Pete,

If you used your credit card for the purchase, you could also file a dispute through them. If nothing else, the credit card company could start a file on the dealer. Not sure whether or not your phrase "hard cash" means actual greenbacks or that you simply don't finance through through the dealer. In addition to the BBB, I've let my credit card company do my dirty work for me. Some, like USAA, will also offer extended warranty protection for retail purchases. Might put the fight over whether or not you voided your warranty between the dealer and the credit card company. Just another option in your multi pronged attack and envelopment of Harman. Good Luck..

Muck

Stuckinthemud I paid cash for the stove as I do not like or want a credit card ever again. I would think paying cash should carry as much weight as credit card but we will see I guess.

Thanks for the idea.
Pete

What kinda scares me all of us who have Harman and Quads (including me!!). I have a pretty good dealer who is quite responsive plus I pretty handy with some of this stuff too but It seems the manufacturer does not want to step up for dealer failings nor be bothered with end users and wants to be left alone.

I'm not any kind of businessman, but it seems that anyone who is in business that wants to be left alone will usually end up being permenantly left alone.....

just my 2 cents.

You're doing great Pete... keep it up....

When I got my TL-300 I also had front door gasket issues, within the first few burns it actually stuck to the glass and came out.
This is an issue that Harman should be aware of as it seems to happen to allot of the TL-300's.

But, the dealer I have out of 56470 worked with me and has worked with me to solve any issues that I have encountered.
Harman as with most stove manufactures work through their dealers.
That your stove is yet to be registered at Harman sounds very fishy.

On a side note: Harman does have a Facebook page. You might want to put a post out there and might even want to send the admin of the page an email concerning your dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.